Any T1 diabetics out there?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, just wondering if any other insulin dependant people have done the dafne course?
I did one this week and can safely say I learned alot, feel like I have much better control already.
Surprisingly others on the course who were diagnosed 20+ years ago also learned loads, which surprised me.

Basically, long story short if you or any family friends are t1 then I highly recommend the course.

Sponsored Links
my 17 year old daughter is T1 diabetic, she was put on the 4 jab regime without going on the course as there was a long waiting list. She manages pretty well, but hopefully will get on the course soon.

what she really wants is a pump...but the NHS wont fund one round here.

I was diagnosed at 29 17months ago also put straight onto the 4 jabs, lantus for background and novo rapid for meals.

I thought my average results were good as am just above 7% but since the course I have realised its been a fluke really as I was taking twice as much background as I needed and been snacking alot to avoid hypos (bit difficult sometimes as self employed now and fairly busy/energetic) and I was completely underestimating my carb counting at meals.

Not sure if its the same in England but up here they have just added more funding for pumps, but you have to do the dafne before you get one.

Hopefully there will be similar funding for your daughter soon, I'm sure she will find it very worthwhile.
It's sad that these things tend to be associated with a postcode lottery :(

I had to google this course, so I can't comment.

Although I'm Type 2, I am insulin dependent. I was diagnosed as diabetic at age 40 and moved on to insulin at age 50, over ten years ago. At first I was on Lantus, having a single injection per day, but nearly a year ago that was changed to Novomix 30 (slow acting for background control with a fast acting component) and I now have to have two injections per day.

Sponsored Links
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-21630812

I can't find any information what causes diabetes, is it in the genes or could it be what the food companies are putting in?

What is going on and why the big increase? I have 9 friends with diabetes, 1 x T1, 8 x T2 and only 2 of them are overweight
metabolicdisease_graph_316x302.png

There's more evidence that t2 is inherited if family has had it than t1 studies have shown. The following shows a little information regarding inheritance etc.

Sorry if its wrong way, unable to rotate pic.

Back