Any way around sanding Parquet?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have ripped up my living room carpet and we have discovered the same parquet flooring runs from our hall into the living room. The parquet seems to be in good condition and as such I do not see the need to sand.

I have two questions:

1) I'm not sure how to give it a little TLC and make it look a bit more "new looking" i.e. How to clean it and Wax/Varnish etc...

2) There are patches where it has become a little worn (looks like someone took a sander to an area 1 feet square and then gave up) and I am not sure how to now match this lighter area with the rest of the floor...

I am by no means a DIY legend :oops: but have booked some time off this week to have a go.....hope you can help?

Thanks in advance

007samd

Sponsored Links
Start with cleaning it properly using a suitable, specially made for cleaning wooden floors, product and see if it makes a difference. These products normally contain a bit of wax pr polish in the case of a varnished floor.

It that makes it look better apply a coat of maintenance product and repeat that every 5 - 6 months.

The 'sanded' area - only when the floor has an oil/wax finish - can be treated with applying a hard wax layer, let the wood absorb it and apply another layer. Repeat this 5 to 6 times over 1 day.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back