Any way of checking my Building control application?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Ive had an acceptance through from Building control and im wondering if its recorded anywhere else? The main reason for this is just incase the private Building control firm were to go bust. No reason for me to think they will but as the only proof I would have of things like depth of footings etc would be photos I wonder where I would stand?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
This, no?

upload_2021-8-10_0-34-34.png

Private building inspector appointed by builder = they will bodge everything up and pay the inspector to get everything passed.
I've seen extensions without dpc being passed.
Always use council BC.

Basically, AIUI, the way it works is that you notify Building Control that youre going to be doing notifiable work.

You can either just say "Im starting on dd/mm/yy, and I will of course comply with the Building Regs", and they rock up now and then to check what youre doing/have done.

Or you can say "here is how I plan to comply with the Building Regulations" and they look at your plans and say "Yup - if you do that it will be fine" or "No, that wont be any good", but once you are at the point where the man he say yes, you crack on and they rock up now and then to check what youre doing/have done.

Or you can go the private approved inspector route where they rock up now and then to check what youre doing/have done. And it does look in that scenario as if the inspector has to tell LABC its going to be happening, LABC might want more details than "Wes gonna be doin an extenshun", and your appoved inspector can optionally ask them to assess the plans and issue a "certificate" to say "Yup - if you do that it will be fine".

I don't know if they call it "certificate", but they send a letter after BC notification saying if all is good in the plans and highlighting any fault/recommendations.

I think that's a fake; it's not signed and doesn't say 'acceptance'. Also, not nearly enough exclamation marks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back