Any way to idiot proof my plumbing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am going to rent a house soon for my first time. just trying to take preventative measures. Perhaps nothing can be done here, but thanks for reading. :)

Sponsored Links
Landlord. Its an old victorian property

I’d say just make sure any safety devices such as toilet float valves, pressure relief valves and overflows are working and in good condition.

Sponsored Links
Two sorts of Landlords I dealt with.

One who guts the house and puts it all back in to a good standard for a sound investment and for the comfort of their Tennants.

Or the one that buys a hose and moves people in without doing much for a quick buck.
Then suffers constant problems and costs with failing plumbing and electrical call outs

Reactions: CBW
Keep the heating controls simple and avoid hi-tech items. Otherwise you may find that you get calls from the tenant saying there's something wrong with the heating when there isn't, they just don't know how to operate it properly. :rolleyes:

You mention plumbing specifically, but the same applies to anything you will be providing. (washing machine / oven etc.,)

worth having a good look at all the rules for renting, lots changed recently and also due to change in the future
EPC rating now and in the future - although the bill may not go through - but i know they where talking band C by 2025
anyway - just a FYI, but i'm sure you are aware of all the rules and regulations / capital gains tax etc on renting now

Idiot proof for your or the tenants? Is there something specific you want answering?

worth having a good look at all the rules for renting, lots changed recently and also due to change in the future
EPC rating now and in the future - although the bill may not go through - but i know they where talking band C by 2025
anyway - just a FYI, but i'm sure you are aware of all the rules and regulations / capital gains tax etc on renting now

This is what bothers me.
I'm not an immigration officer and don't get paid to check people's immigration status.
Then how would I know if someone has shown me a fake passport???

I would suggest making sure all pipes are properly lagged, boxed in where they are exposed, all outlets have an independent means to isolate them, (i.e. in-line isolators rather than just the main stopcock), any boilers have up to date service records, any leaks/drips/noisy ball valves are repaired/replaced, all sink/bath/shower traps are clean and free flowing and all hot water outlets are either clearly marked with warning symbols denoting 'Hot Water!', or that any mixers are set to the correct setting so no body can scald themselves.

I know it should be common sense to test the temperature before plunging in but, by law, you have to make sure all reasonable precautions have been taken to ensure vulnerable/young/disabled etc people are not put at any foreseeable risk of harm.
It may be a good idea to do a full risk assessment, and rectified works carried out, before handing over to your first tenant. You keep the original sheet and give them a copy for their records. Then if they have a complaint and try to say it has been like that since they moved in, you can refer to your document to see if they are correct. A good tenant will tell you about a problem/potential problem as soon as it happens. That way you can go and assess the risk of it getting worse and rectify it when necessary.

I would say fit a lever valve on the incoming water mains with a sign saying 'WATER MAINS'.

If you are mangering the property then give your mobile phone number to call in an emergency, or during office hours.

Andy

Thanks guys, luckily my plumber is one of the few good workman I know and ill ask him to take a look with me and ask a few things.

Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back