Anybody had/fitted 'Suntile' or 'Skytunnel'?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am considering having one of these:

http://www.just-rooflights.co.uk
http://www.suntileuk.com

fitted (I don't trust myself working on a roof!) in a dark passage way ceiling. Has any one any experience of their use and any advice for a potential user?

Any observations re which might be a more effective implementation? They are roughly similar in price - Suntile having a slight edge.

Many thanks

PA

Sponsored Links
i have neither fitted one or seen one fitted, been in the trade nearly 25 yrs too. :eek:

i'm sure they're quite effective though.

Put one in about two years ago, claimed to be equivilant to 100w light or something like that, no chance. They do let the light in but nothing like the photos, I suppose they are the ones with the built in light. I suppose it depends how badly you need light.
In the early 80s in the NEC met an Irish guy who claimed to have come up with the idea, his looked good and I always wanted to see one fitted. Now I would prefer a light well if possible.

Sponsored Links
I normally specify these when doing side house extensions where a gable landing window is to be covered by the extension. It allows some natural light to the top of stair area.

They are a compromise, but do give a nice amount of natural light, which is more pleasing than just fitting a bulb. They can light up an area in daylight, which is a lot different than the householder looking into darkness and then having to swith a light on. The comparison with a 100w bulb may be about right in sunlight, but less on cloudy days - but still OK. It may take a little getting accustomed to.

The brochures are deceiving, so it is best if you actually see one. New hospital extensions or similar health care facilities often have them in corridors etc

I've just had two Tubzzz fitted due to an extension cutting out the natural light. (www.tubzzz.com)

They were easy to install and the flexible tube makes it easy to route them as required. Whilst I haven't terminated them into their final rooms they are swinging about in the loft and I am impressed by the amount of light available. You won't be recreating Picasso by it, but it's a fair alternative to a window.

Inlaws have two suntubes fitted in a dark hallway and they work quite well. You're right to think about a light well if you want equivalent of a window's worth of light though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back