Anyone else 'invited'?

Would you trust a trade 'advertised' on a membership site?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 11 91.7%
  • Perhaps

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only when I see reviews by (former) clients

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Received an email yesterday because I/we frequently post answers on this forum. Email was a kind of invitation to assess a new website: problemsolved.co.uk.
Trades are invited to become a respected member, create an own webpage on this site and fill it (I think) with testimonials, reviews etc so the UK public can find trusted and reliable trades.

Not sure what to think of it: if you become a paying member (£199 a year for the pleasure) you will rank higher in searches, the more your webpage is filled the higher you rank in their searches.
Now how's that for impartially selection??

Sponsored Links
ive had a couple lately. Put it this way, ive never heard of any of them, so i wouldnt look there to find someone!

no one gives anything away for free!

What irks me most is the fact that paying trade members are also expected to get involved in the forums and blogs of the site: paying to give information??

DIY-not forum is extremely popular (on its own, without paying members) due to the fact that trades and experienced DIY-ers give advice and information freely.
And our experience is that helping out, advising and giving information on a voluntary bases is what creates trust in trade persons by the public.

(Now Thermo, you see, some things are given away for free ;))

Sponsored Links
i agree!

on a slightly different angle wood you like, we decided not to renew with yellow pages or yell.com this year. Theyve just sent us an e-mail saying the web advert is now live etc etc. Ive stopped last years direct debit as i thought theyd do something like that. Also sent an e-mail pointing ut we never agreed to it and were not paying. Now i wonder what will happen......... :rolleyes:

Ah, yellow pages ;)
We cancelled everything too after various heated discussion with the rep - loved that! Result: not even a free mentioning in the new directory ;)

(So, no more phone calls from time-wasters ;))

i found them so pushy and we got so little from them, i couldnt be doing with them. Still, weve had more enquiries than ever since the begining of the month, so i cant say were missing them

Most if not all internet "find a tradesman" sites are just designed to benefit the hosting or organising company.

But I am finding more and more numptys who don't have a clue about building work or tradesmen, will turn to the internet for their answers, and so there may be a market.

But whether these are a benefit to the members or potential customer is another matter. I don't think so

Sponsored Links
Back