Anyone heard of anything I can use to supplement my slabs over-hang?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

When we got our garden done last year we had major issues with the porcelain slabs. I won't bore you with the details but, basically, they needed lifting and re-laying which has resulted in us only having a small over-hang. Also the water runs through the gaps between the tiles. This leads to dirty run-off water leaving stains on the walls.

IMG20230328101154.jpg

I wondered if there was any solutions that anyone had heard of to fix this?

I was thinking of something profiled that I could glue (or screw) on to the wall, underneath the current slab over-hang - like this?

profile.jpg

Anyone heard of anything like that? Or anyone have any other suggestions for how I can sort this?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
You could look at aluminium profiles?

Or even Hardwood strips?

Good idea! I'll look into it and see if I can find anything suitable

You might be able to use this .

uPVC Gutter Drip Trim for EPDM​

Thanks! I've just Googled them but I'm not sure they are the right profile. Will keep looking for something similar though.

Thanks for all the advice so far :)

Paint the wall the same colour as the water stains? Unless the wall has been constructed so as to not let water through from the rear, the render/paint/both will likely fail a some point anway. Any flashing or trim you add will likely look a bit rubbish. I'd just repaint the wall once a year instead if it really bothers you.

Paint the wall the same colour as the water stains? Unless the wall has been constructed so as to not let water through from the rear, the render/paint/both will likely fail a some point anway. Any flashing or trim you add will likely look a bit rubbish. I'd just repaint the wall once a year instead if it really bothers you.

I'd ideally like white trim. I don't think it would look too bad. Certainly happy to live with the trim rather than the dirt/staining on the wall. The water in the photo isn't really an issue - that wall has already been cleaned - it's crap from the trees at the back that runs down the wall. Thanks :)

What about an aluminum U channel, in it's raw state it would just go a dull grey, bonded to the render I guess with some clear silicone. I think anything that sticks out beyond the edge of the slabs will look awful. The gaps in the slabs need re-pointing.

eg https://www.metals4u.co.uk/materials/aluminium/aluminium-channel

Yep, that's not a bad idea. I originally thought of some white plastic trunking. I think if I mounted the U-channel upside down and deformed it slightly so it was sloping downwards from the wall then the furthest face would act to make sure the water/etc dripped off the end.... thanks :)

It would be a waste of time. But if you must do it, try this - black:tile, blue:something plastic or wood, red:hybrid polymer sealant

drip-edge.png

@uptown47 There are cheaper suppliers than that no doubt btw. I can't see you being able to deform the channel very easily but why would you need to?

1680003521600.png

I was just thinking of mounting the U-channel upside down and deforming it so it sloped away from the slabs (in black) and the water/crap would run down the back of the U-channel and drip off the end at a safe distance away from the wall :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back