Anyone here work for British Gas?

I know the offical answer to this but does age come into play when deciding who gets the job.

I am almost 26, and worried they might choose someone whos a bit more, erm, mouldable/complying etc.

Any of you guys know people who joined at my age?

Regards.

26 is still within their age range (18-30 is what they are unoffically after), a background in mechanics/engineering/electrics/SALES would be beneficial.

Sponsored Links
is it just me, or does Sales get mentioned a lot!!!

I used to work as a mortgage adviser, but spent a lot of the time flogging home insurance, MPPI, healthcare, SIPPS etc etc, so i'll play on that.

is it just me, or does Sales get mentioned a lot!!!

I used to work as a mortgage adviser, but spent a lot of the time flogging home insurance, MPPI, healthcare, SIPPS etc etc, so i'll play on that.

the job is as good as yours! they love you to cross sell all kinds of overpriced, practically worthless and unnessecary products.

whether or not you can actually fix anything or work safely is irrelevant as they have an outstanding legal team to defend their manslaughter charges. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
dangermouse? do i sense an agrieved ex-employee here??

best thing I ever done was leave tbh, earn alot more for alot less. I'm just letting the guy know what he's in for. . . . . . .

fair play to ya fella, no complaints here....least you have experience of the place - therefore more than within ya right to tell how it is.....

All views sought!!!

End fo the day, It seems a good way to get qualified, good pay and good perks. Granted there will be sh1t along the way, but cant be any worse than the diversity training at my current employers, or whatever other initatives along the way.

Just dont sell for sellings sake.... I don't, yeah they dont like it but end of the day, I sleep better.... I do a good job and if i'm honest, I'm far more qualified than most of them there anyway.... :D

dangerlouse has a problem with the selling aspect when in fact you really dont need to do any.

i dont. the odd COD, boiler appointment, upgrade turns up and gets you off the zero list. its not a major issue and shouldnt make you worry about joining up.

the louse is right about one thing though, out of hours work. depending on how you play it it can be a nightmare or an easy way to make fairly reasonable money. the overtime rates are frankly a joke on certain days, best to do as little as possible on weekends and take the crappy money that they do offer. dont do any overtime during the week and rely on standby and GA payments to make money. i dont do any bank holidays out of spite now either. the OOW depends on your area i suppose, we get it pretty easy round here. if you can be arsed radicals are a license to print money if you get roomsealed boilers.

at least you will get experience on just abour every boiler ever made before you leave and work for yourself and cherry pick your work or work for a manufacturer. :LOL:

You get bonus points for ripping off anyone over 65, double bonus points for over 70s, and a new van for over 80s.

Bloody.
Gangsters

:evil:

For the OP t is most definately a great career move, if being a gas fitter is a career these days, I suspect not.

Ref bg work as acontractor, so not strictly relevant but may be of slight interest.

Depends on the tsm of the moment whether you are badgered daily into selling against your personal moral code. I have had three types. At the moment I find myself selling to keep my job.

It is very dependent where you are.

You would think that the only contractor to fix sufficient boilers to make bonus and only 1 of 4 out of 80 engineers intotal over the winter in the area would be sufficient to walk on a red capet to meetings, but no you would think I was a flye who just walked into a cow pat with the rest of them..

Don't believe the slander either that we don't service appliances properly, we do checks you would consider totally unneccesary, it takes a minimum of 1/2 hr to do a job even without raking out heat exchangers you do everything but plus some things you wouldn't do privately. Yet for all that work if within 3 weeks of your being there a trv sticks (an almost certainty) you don't get paid. Every casing seal is inspected every fire removed every back boiler stripped and cleaned. Clearly it hasn't been done for years butit is done when I arrive and should be when everyone arrives. On average I take an hour per appliance unless it's a hob. The work has been pushed so far into the margine I think I have lost my senses to remain.

But it's the stonewall you run into when you want a day off which really bugs me, when you are self employed you are acustomed to being able to adapt swiftly o changing circumstances in your prvate life. With bg contract you have to put your private life second.

paul, the contractors seem to have an easy life round here. the do **** all properly, only work 3 days a week and generally annoy the direct labour.

i doubt any of them would come near most of us for fear of physical violence.

from the sounds of it you are getting a bad deal, i doubt i would stay for that.

[quote=". Every casing seal is inspected every fire removed every back boiler stripped and cleaned. Clearly it hasn't been done for years butit is done when I arrive and should be when everyone arrives. On average I take an hour per appliance unless it's a hob. The work has been pushed so far into the margine I think I have lost my senses to remain.

.[/quote]

the above has prob just cost me my contract with bg.check out my post in the combustion chamber under what aday.for correctly following protocol/labeling appliances and just general gas safety may have put the "direct labour" in the brown stuff.So for doing my job CORRECTLY i may be looking for work elsewhere :rolleyes:

in my experience all the best engineers leave ****ish gas to purue careers elsewhere. those few good ones that remain are awaiting their pension and counting the days. . .

the management of the company is undertaken by pen pushers who have never been on the tools, don't understand the job and are only interested in the share price.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back