Gas Trainee Difficulties

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can help me? I have recently moved to the UK from Canada, where I had completed a five year apprenticeship in plumbing. I have had my qualifications evaluated and they are the equivalent of an NVQ Level 3 in plumbing.

I'm really keen to become a registered Gas Safe engineer in the UK. I have lots of books and have been studying, but am really struggling to find a company with whom I can work to get my supervised hours, which I need to become Gas Safe qualified.

I live in London so didn't think it would be that hard to find a company recruiting for Trainee Gas Engineers. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

I'd be really grateful for any advice.

Matthew Crane

Sponsored Links
tell them you will do it for free. its hard to find some1 to pay you to teach you plus its more insurance costs for you etc. if you did it for free they maybecome intrested

I'd be willing to work for free - do you know, on average, how many hours are required to gain the necessary experience to become Gas Safe qualified?

Sponsored Links
misterdubya - I intend on living and working in the UK for the forseeable future as my fiance is British. I'd like to work for either a domestic or commercial gas company in London or the home counties...

Unfortunately, the plumbing industry this side of the pond is dire. Without wishing to sound somewhat unhelpful, Id take up a hair dressing, or a McDonalds management course. You'll earn better money for less stress / hours or both.

You could give BG a go on a bit more serious note - unless you can find a commercial / industrial company to gain an apprentiship with.

Mr. W.

Unfortunately, the plumbing industry this side of the pond is dire. Without wishing to sound somewhat unhelpful, Id take up a hair dressing, or a McDonalds management course. You'll earn better money for less stress / hours or both.

You could give BG a go on a bit more serious note.

Mr. W.

think what you meant to say was try bg...but on a more serious note try hairdressing or mcy d`s :D

You say you have lots of books and have been studying. But you dont seem to have read any of the many posts on here every month.

Unfortunately all trainees think that they are the bees knees! The reality is that their capabilities are usually very poor and to make it worse their attitude is usually bad as well.

Tony

if i were you i`d head back to canada as soon as possible ,this place is falling to pieces.
:mrgreen: :LOL: I heard a 59 year old guy ( who I used to work with) shipped out to Canada with all his family and walked straight into a job plumbing - and you come to this god- forsaken **** hole to work :eek: If I had my time again Me and my Mrs. (a nurse) would be out there to Canada - please persuade me that Canada is c-rap for work and little britain is good

You say you have lots of books and have been studying. But you dont seem to have read any of the many posts on here every month.

Unfortunately all trainees think that they are the bees knees! The reality is that their capabilities are usually very poor and to make it worse their attitude is usually bad as well.

Tony

Try changing the words 'all trainees' around to 'agile' - its spot on!

if i were you i`d head back to canada as soon as possible ,this place is falling to pieces.
:mrgreen: :LOL: I heard a 59 year old guy ( who I used to work with) shipped out to Canada with all his family and walked straight into a job plumbing - and you come to this god- forsaken s**t hole to work :eek: If I had my time again Me and my Mrs. (a nurse) would be out there to Canada - please persuade me that Canada is c-rap for work and little britain is good

was in Toronto in April,my missus had to stop me from asking a waitress if everyone was putting on some kind of act-everyone seems so bloody happy.My missus held a door open for someone and he nearly blew his wad..Also the streets dont look as though a chilean miner could pop his head up at any minute.

:mrgreen: :LOL: I heard a 59 year old guy ( who I used to work with) shipped out to Canada with all his family and walked straight into a job plumbing - and you come to this god- forsaken s**t hole to work :eek: If I had my time again Me and my Mrs. (a nurse) would be out there to Canada - please persuade me that Canada is c-rap for work and little britain is good

FFS. I would go anywhere rather than this crummy little island. Canada, OZ, NZ, States, Iraq, Haiti! :(

FFS. I would go anywhere rather than this crummy little island. Canada, OZ, NZ, States, Iraq, Haiti! :(

you forgot Egypt

Why would anyone want to move from Canada to GrateBritain, this country is sinking faster then a ship full of holes in a force ten gale loaded with lead....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back