Gas Trainee Difficulties

Makes me sick when all you hear is people beginning on about how craq this country is – yes times are tough but we all have more opportunity here than most people have in other countries. There is always going to be idiots who can’t be bothered to get off of their arses to get a job but hopefully this government will sort that. Please don’t lose sight of other countries that offer nothing to the people that live in there and who would never have the opportunities that each and every one of us has!!

Sponsored Links
'We' (us bored plumbers reading the forum) are stuck here because of various reasons - immigration difficulties, EU bureaucracy, financial dependence on child tax credit system, languages in schools, difficulty in integrating into tight knit traditional societies abroad, UK tax laws governing rental income for ex -pats... Try rocking up in France with a bag of tools and a fist full of British certificates - even if you had the right qualifications, the local business & tax laws would screw you up pretty quick. They don't like it - they have there own ways to keep foreign workers out, even though the EU was supposed to allow everyone to work anywhere.

Would be like early retirement - might get a few hours work now and then fixing some other ex-pat's toilet.

Need a plumbing 'license' to work in US and a lot of other places.

I plumbed ILLEGALLY in South Africa for a couple of years - didn't have the required plumbing license, but I guess with the crime levels there, they probably won't be issuing an extradition warrant in the near future.

Sorry to hear everyone in here has such a negative view of this country. Since writing my post yesterday I got some really uplifting news. I've been offered a well paid job working for a plumbing and gas company, who are willing to help me get my hours for Gas Safe! It's not been easy, but a bit of optimism and perserverence goes far. There's still hope for this country yet!

I plumbed ILLEGALLY in South Africa for a couple of years - didn't have the required plumbing license, but I guess with the crime levels there, they probably won't be issuing an extradition warrant in the near future.

I saw a notice in Jo'burg nailed to a tree at the side of the road saying "Plumber 796434686" Was that you?

It was beside the Theatre where Umoja live!

I have it on a video but dont know how to do screen saves from video.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Wasn't me, Tony. I was in Cape Town. I had proper leaflets, which I re-used on returning to the UK by cutting the phone number off the bottom and feeding through the inkjet again with new number on it!!

I did have a work permit, by the way!

I did some illegal plumbing work in South Africa two years ago. Replaced the washer in my Aunty's kitchen tap at her house in Pietermaritzburg (Natal). Cape Town and wine area/garden route are fantastic.

Seriously though, it was a great country, but high murder/rape/robbery rates mean that people live behind razor wire, protected by 10 stone Rhodesian Ridegebacks and armed response security.

Like the UK, its going down the pan. :(

aaarrghh we're all doomed!

its the economy though, we never had a chance i tells ya

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back