Anyone here work for British Gas?

Sponsored Links
Nickso part of the toOL kit should be a roll of Andrex as some of them nee help wiping there own ass.

Old technicians from pre 95 are still on 500 quid a year more are they not. We where lucky we had 2 of the best old school technicians about no one could touch them.
Try getting a manager to understand that them doing 5 jobs a day was actually saving them money than some daft boy running about throwing parts into 12 boilers a day. YEAH BUT YEAH BUT. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

No.

After a few high voltage readings and bad earth <100 ohm readings,how long does it take? 2minutes.
Electrical checks are JUST as important ans gas checks.
Reverse polarity or unable to correctly isolate can kill and wrong sized fuses can wreck the boiler.

There is far too much us and them mentality in BG.
If all else fails sweep it under the carpet.

Again it depends what im doing. ill do my leccy checks with my meter if im working on it, mainly for my own safety TBH. i see few customers concerned with leccy checks to do it for them.

you wont see me near the spur or anything else thats not related if im changing a TRV for example.

Sponsored Links
As usual a perfectly decent enquiry about a company has just become a place for people to slag off B.G. Would be nice to know what companies some of you out there work for and hear about your perfect working practices.
As one of the replies said you will get out of it what you put into it. Yes i do work for B.G. and very happy to do so. Would be nice just to stick to the enquiry, answer wise. Sounds more like a forum for bitching old women. There off my chest....

wrong sized fuses can wreck the boiler.

this is actually a farce as the fuse rating in the spur is in order to protect the lead to the boiler not the boiler, which is protected by it's own fuse usually .5 or 1 amp.

Most roundwire flex used to feed boilers is capable of 5 amp or more.

The boiler manufacturers who specify a 3 amp fuse are only doing so because their boiler will not blow such a small fuse and it doesn't harm the flex to overprotect it.

For the rules of discrimination the boiler has the smallest rating the fcu the next smallest and the fuse or breaker at the source the greatest. Each has only to protect the next leg.

I joined BG as an apprentice 3 years ago. The training is good if you are willing to put in the hours and learn. I put the effort in and it payed off in the end.

Agree with what was said on page 1 about not being a pain in the a.r.s.e to your buddy engineer. He can be a life saver in your hour of need when you get out on your own or leaves you to sink.

In terms of the company, it isnt perfect by a long way. The focus is too much on earning BG money than getting the jobs done correctly 1st time. You arent given the time to a spot on job. Our COM is an office boy who has an idea in his head about how the job works and he is totally unrealistic in his ideals. Fortunately the TSMs are good enough round here to pull him up and defend their lads if needed. Our TSM would rather see quality rather than quantity.

What area are you applying to work in?

Good luck and if you get the job all the best

Wow, didnt expect soo many replies, thanks all.

My interview, after passing their online numerical and verbal reasoning tests, and an interview test, is on Monday, so fingers crossed.

As usual a perfectly decent enquiry about a company has just become a place for people to slag off B.G. Would be nice to know what companies some of you out there work for and hear about your perfect working practices.
As one of the replies said you will get out of it what you put into it. Yes i do work for B.G. and very happy to do so. Would be nice just to stick to the enquiry, answer wise. Sounds more like a forum for **** old women. There off my chest....

there are some yes men patsy's at Bg too, be very wary of them as they make up for a lack of skill by brown nosing the boss and the company. :rolleyes:

Skill doesn't carry much weight, it is hardly noticed actually. But selling two upgrades a week gets you a bottle of wine.

seems BG do not want the old fashioned service engineer who can repair nearly all systems,the word oboslete appliance is often quoted by some BG staff on an often usually high basis.
in my opinion a gas engineer likes to repair heating systems and wants to do and can do.
but their idea is to sell new boilers/upgrades and worst of all POxxrfluXX when not required.
the old boys (fitters/service enginners) of BG are the best,heck who needs a computer to repair a 20 year old glowworm space saver.
OK the computer says,you need a new boiler now.
sorry another rant.
there are some top engineers out there.not on bg employ.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back