Anyone here work for British Gas?

the old boys (fitters/service enginners) of BG are the best,heck who needs a computer to repair a 20 year old glowworm space saver.

I'll be honest I've found the older boys are the worst really struggling with some of the basics of even combis let alone steamers. The old guys tend to be sticking it out for their final salary pensions and struggle with how bad the job has got and are completely uninterested in additional training and qualifications. Chuck an old spacesaver at them and they may know it backwards but who wouldn't and to be honest the old boilers are getting thin on the ground. Just my humble opinion and there are some fantastic guys but the keen new guys are far superior after a couple of years.
I would say that the mentality of bg currently is fairly contemptable to their engineers but they are well aware they can quite easily train any joe off the street to replace their current workforce in a few months so don't expect or indeed gift any favours.

Sponsored Links
the old boys (fitters/service enginners) of BG are the best,heck who needs a computer to repair a 20 year old glowworm space saver.

I'll be honest I've found the older boys are the worst really struggling with some of the basics of even combis let alone steamers. The old guys tend to be sticking it out for their final salary pensions and struggle with how bad the job has got and are completely uninterested in additional training and qualifications.

I can relate to that, most of the older guys here are on LD/HU spending their twilight years doing cylinders, heat exchangers and repipes. One chap is retiring in september and has just done his ACS retest. Just in time for him to leave and bump up the pension doing boiler swaps!

put them out of their misery, take them out back and shoot them in the head or wrap them in a bin bag and chuck them off the pier.

no place for these old boys in BG now. its not the same world when you used to turn up late at the depot, shoot the **** with the lads for an hour before shooting some more **** with the stores guy, before shooting more **** at the coffee machine before finally hitting your first job at 1030. sort that and head for lunch with the rest of the lads. **** about for a while before banging in a few jobs in the afternoon. if you are unlucky the first pint hits your lips at 430.

dont get me wrong, if you can play the system the way it plays you BG is a breeze. if you are a worrier or plain useless get out now.

Sponsored Links
Its all this BIP ****e thats getting on my wick.... how many times do I have to tell them... I CANNOT WORK WITH THESE POXY OVEN GLOVES YOU KEEPING GIVING ME ON MY HANDS!!! But oh no, I dont wear them, fail......dont check a fuse - fail....... doesnt help when the COM is non technical as well so its like talking to a brick wall.

so nickso, are you telling us there are no good engineers outside of BG?

Its all this BIP s***te thats getting on my wick.... how many times do I have to tell them... I CANNOT WORK WITH THESE POXY OVEN GLOVES YOU KEEPING GIVING ME ON MY HANDS!!! But oh no, I dont wear them, fail......dont check a fuse - fail....... doesnt help when the COM is non technical as well so its like talking to a brick wall.

I honestly don't mind wearing the Hy-flex gloves TBH they have saved me from serious injury to many times to count.

The gloves fit better if you order a size smaller than you really need.

Most COM's are non-technical.

And if i'm honest, the Non-Technical TSM's are better managers IMHO all i want a TSM to do is sort out my days off, let me know what my performance is, etc. I don't know of many colleagues that would ring a TSM for Technical assistance.

and there was me thinking davebgas was in moskow. . . . .

we just call them poweflush-ski, magnacleanski, and my van is a lada.
You getting the same grief in Tyne and Wear then gasright?

You could say that

Worst thing i ever did was to move away from SFL and become a Tech Engineer. should've stayed an sfl and just do my 8+ asv's per day

All radicals have been stopped though there is plenty of work for the contractors (which they are still hiring) and Morale is back down to the gutter, new com making everyones life a misery, same old story

Ah, the old story echoes through patches..... let me guess..... "do you really need those 2 parts".... well yes actually I do!!!

gasright why don't you leave? Best thing I ever done!

did you go private dangermouse or to another company? what was the final straw for you?

did you go private dangermouse or to another company? what was the final straw for you?

I went to work for another company, only then did I realise what a raw deal bg staff get. The final straw came at a big meeting with the regional manager, after several robust questions from engineers about morale, pay and conditions etc he just said "if anyone in this room doesn't like it just go because that's how it is". I and about 10 others in a room of 80 jacked on the spot. I've been told if I ever want to come back there's a job for me but I'd rather castrate myself with a rusty, blunt fork.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back