British Gas

Let me put it another way

At the moment I earn approx £20,000 PA Gross with my company. My private turnover (1st year) is £12,000

With BG, I wll be earning £27,000 (possibly £29,000)

At thiss stage in my career, is it more important for me to earn the extra 3-6k a year, or get the training and experience with BG for a few years?

My long term aim (next 5 years or so) is to go alone and work for myself, thats why Im so reluctant to let down the customers I currently have, especially 1 letting agent who is a friend and puts a lot of LGSC's my way, but at the same time I also need to be learning more about my job, which hopefully I will with BG.

Just trying to decide which is the better option, what do you guys think?

Sponsored Links
ollski said:
newcomers said:
ollski said:
If you have your own corgi already it's none of bg's business. Yes of course you run the risk of the sack doing private jobs as you are running in competition with your employer, I can't imagine any employer letting you get away with that. Can't imagine them letting you use the van either. That said there is a certain leaway...unofficially although I know guys who have been sacked for both.

What I mean is, is there anyway of them finding out through corgi (or any other means) that I have my own corgi? If I get caught red handed doing privates thats my own fault, but can they actually find out if I have my own corgi?

Depends, yes they can find out but if you are registered at your mothers house or in a slightly different name you won't flag up. If you have your own corgi reg that's nothing to do with bg but if you need on the job inspections to renew then that will be proof enough you are doing jobs on the side and enough for gross misconduct.
If you start working full time for Bg and still have enough time to work on the side asell I will be astounded!

I work till 11pm some nights if the work is there, thats why a lot of people use me because I do my best to get there the same day, no matter how late. I have a wedding and a house refurb to pay for, I need the money!!

newcomers said:
ollski said:
newcomers said:
ollski said:
If you have your own corgi already it's none of bg's business. Yes of course you run the risk of the sack doing private jobs as you are running in competition with your employer, I can't imagine any employer letting you get away with that. Can't imagine them letting you use the van either. That said there is a certain leaway...unofficially although I know guys who have been sacked for both.

What I mean is, is there anyway of them finding out through corgi (or any other means) that I have my own corgi? If I get caught red handed doing privates thats my own fault, but can they actually find out if I have my own corgi?

Depends, yes they can find out but if you are registered at your mothers house or in a slightly different name you won't flag up. If you have your own corgi reg that's nothing to do with bg but if you need on the job inspections to renew then that will be proof enough you are doing jobs on the side and enough for gross misconduct.
If you start working full time for Bg and still have enough time to work on the side asell I will be astounded!

I work till 11pm some nights if the work is there, thats why a lot of people use me because I do my best to get there the same day, no matter how late. I have a wedding and a house refurb to pay for, I need the money!!

lol keep working till 11 every night and you'll have a divorce to pay for as well

a few landlords here and there and you wont get caught. every BG engineer does the odd job here and there. its the ones using the van, parts and tools they are worried about.

nickso said:
newcomers said:
ollski said:
newcomers said:
ollski said:

lol keep working till 11 every night and you'll have a divorce to pay for as well

a few landlords here and there and you wont get caught. every BG engineer does the odd job here and there. its the ones using the van, parts and tools they are worried about.

Im not that stupid, I wouldnt milk it. I'd just keep doing LGSC's for a particular letting agent.

Worried about BG finding out about my corgi now, what can I do to prevent them finding out, apart from getting rid of it!

Sponsored Links
newcomers said:
nickso said:
newcomers said:
ollski said:
newcomers said:
ollski said:

Im not that stupid, I wouldnt milk it. I'd just keep doing LGSC's for a particular letting agent.

Worried about BG finding out about my corgi now, what can I do to prevent them finding out, apart from getting rid of it!

Could you not subcontract the work out until your ready to start them full-time again?

To be honest can`t see you lasting too long at BG with all rules an regs of working for a big company if you can`t even realise that working in direct oposition to them is a big NO NO.Even in the evening. A lot of national grid guys are independently corgi registered purely because the type of work is not in competition with the company

cake........eat..........it :LOL: :LOL: go for it BG deserve some abuse

You already have your corgi and if bg don't like it tell them you only install gas fires. As Bg don't you aren't in direct competition and it is a reasonable excuse to why you want to keep your own registration going.
If you are coming in expecting to be paid to learn your diagnostic skills while running a business in direct competition don't expect it to last too long.

Ok fair point but what are the chances of getting caught doing say 2-3 lGSC a week, because thats all it'd be, at the most. I wont even do breakdowns or installs, purely the LGSC's to keep this customer happy.

We will let our chaps do PJs. However we are a small company (11 people) and we know all our staff well and trust them.

I can see that a big concern like BG could not let this happen, their staff would be ripping them off left right and centre.

When in Rome, do as the romans do. If I were Newcomer I would either take the BG job and play by their rules, or don't take the job. Anything else would be dishonest.

Finally, the new company van taxation rules mean that most service engs would be penalised in a big way for having private use of a van. All our guys have elected to have private use taken off because of the massive tax liability it gives them.

simond said:
We will let our chaps do PJs. However we are a small company (11 people) and we know all our staff well and trust them.

I can see that a big concern like BG could not let this happen, their staff would be ripping them off left right and centre.

When in Rome, do as the romans do. If I were Newcomer I would either take the BG job and play by their rules, or don't take the job. Anything else would be dishonest.

Finally, the new company van taxation rules mean that most service engs would be penalised in a big way for having private use of a van. All our guys have elected to have private use taken off because of the massive tax liability it gives them.

Doesnt that only work out to £15 a week tax?

Can`t believe anyone would work for Bg or any other company if you are suitably qualified. Why are people falling all over themselves to work for this shoddy ripoff company? Unless you are a fat lazy bastard with twenty years under your belt & content to sit around scratching your crack until you retire there is absolutely no reason in the world that you should even consider working for these sharks.

I work for myself. My mate used to work for BG. The stress & pressure he was under everyday was unbelievable. They wanted him to flog boilers at every address. Bad rip off merchants. British Gas.. doing the Sh..ite thing. He now works for me in a happy stress free environment..& if he is late again tomorrow.. he can go back to British fu**ing gas... :LOL: :LOL:

Bamber gaspipe said:
Can`t believe anyone would work for Bg or any other company if you are suitably qualified. Why are people falling all over themselves to work for this shoddy ripoff company? Unless you are a fat lazy b*****d with twenty years under your belt & content to sit around scratching your crack until you retire there is absolutely no reason in the world that you should even consider working for these sharks.

I work for myself. My mate used to work for BG. The stress & pressure he was under everyday was unbelievable. They wanted him to flog boilers at every address. Bad rip off merchants. British Gas.. doing the Sh..ite thing. He now works for me in a happy stress free environment..& if he is late again tomorrow.. he can go back to British fu**ing gas... :LOL: :LOL:

But you have never actually worked for Bg yourself for an accurate picture?
If he is under that much stress the doc can sign him off and the company will pay him sick pay.

And some nice manager purely concerned with his well being will phone him everyday to ask when he is coming back as he is a burden on the patch and making his mates work harder because he is off and costing the company money..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back