Anyone know about Satellite Dishes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Under 'normal' weather conditions I get a signal of reasonable quality and strength - with no problems in satellite reception.

I have noticed that on frosty nights I get issues with certain channels - usually starting with ITV4, and if the frost gets really bad it starts to effect other channels. I know that there are certain channels that are the 'first to go' when the signal strength drops (due to their frequencies) so I am not concerned about this issue.

My question is - would it be normal for frost to reduce the satellite signal, or is it a sign that there is a problem with the LNB or coax?

Thanks,

Gary

Sponsored Links
Gary_M said:
Hi,

Under 'normal' weather conditions I get a signal of reasonable quality and strength - with no problems in satellite reception.

I have noticed that on frosty nights I get issues with certain channels - usually starting with ITV4, and if the frost gets really bad it starts to effect other channels. I know that there are certain channels that are the 'first to go' when the signal strength drops (due to their frequencies) so I am not concerned about this issue.

My question is - would it be normal for frost to reduce the satellite signal, or is it a sign that there is a problem with the LNB or coax?

Thanks,

Gary

it shouldnt effect it too much. could be a problem with the LNB not liking the cold?

you could always check the signal strength (in the services under system setup or summit). it should be half way at least. if not, your dish isnt aligned correctly. its not too hard to align it, but if you do you should get a cheap sat meter/finder. or have someone inside watchin signal strength and relaying it to you

Thanks Andy, I should have said in my first post that I did check the signal strength.

It definitely drops a bit when there is frost. The dish is correctly aligned, as I've had the installers out twice with their metres :LOL:

Usually the signal strenght is approx 60-80% and signal quality around 50%, but when there is frost it can drop to: strength:50% and quality: 10% or lower :eek:

I know that this is the best signal I can get with the current dish as I am not in the best area for reception. I wasn't quite sure what the 'signal quality' meant but guess that it is obviusly related to the strength of the signal.

I may invest in a larger dish in the future, and in all honesty, the issues with the channels is not major, and tends to be channels I don't watch much anyway - so I can live with it :)

could be the cable or LNB. can you see anywhere on connectors where water could be entering the cable?

Sponsored Links
The ones in the house are all fine. I'll check those on the LNB when I get a chance to go up on the roof.

What do you call a box with a satellite dish stuck to it?

notb665 said:
What do you call a box with a satellite dish stuck to it?

I give in, what do you call a box with a satellite dish stuck to it?

Gary_M said:
I am not in the best area for reception.

Just found out where Moray is! You are up near Elgin, right?

I've read here that you need a "zone 2 minidish" in parts of Scotland.

Seems that you could be in a threshold area, and would benefit from a larger dish. :confused:

Would be nice to know it will sort the problem before you invest though :D

AdamW said:
Gary_M said:
I am not in the best area for reception.

Just found out where Moray is! You are up near Elgin, right?

I've read here that you need a "zone 2 minidish" in parts of Scotland.

Seems that you could be in a threshold area, and would benefit from a larger dish. :confused:

Would be nice to know it will sort the problem before you invest though :D

Yeah, I am about 12 miles from Elgin. I took the dish with me that I had in Inverness, but it was a much better reception area there. I suspect that it is a dish problem (either size, or problem with LNB). As I said, it is not too much of a problem at the moment as I am getting the channels I usually watch - more of a niggle that some go dodgy in the frost. When I get the chance I'll check out things on the roof, and if all seems well I'll decide whether to replace the dish or just put up with it.

Thanks to all who replied. That even includes you [brightness] - you witch ;) :D

the higher north you are, the weaker the signal and the bigger the dish you need.

a 4M wide dish should get your excellent signal...

Sponsored Links
Back