Anyone know of a Z-wave temp sensor with probe for hot water tank?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I want a z-wave device to measure the temperature of my hot water tank so I can control the boiler (it has a Fibaro switch). Ideally a sensor unit with a probe I can insert into the tank's sensor pockets rather than tear a gash out of the jacket for a surface mounted one (i.e. Secure SES002). I have already got a Secure SES303 and SES002 but I just can't get them working with Smartthings, so am about to bin them and look for suggestions of something else?

Thanks
Dave

Sponsored Links
Thanks Elite123, that looks like an interesting device I've not used before. Will get one and have a play :)
Just a minor point is that I don't have a low voltage source of power for it (9-30v) but assume a 9v PP3 would suffice and I'd then enclose it all in a small ABS box.

Sponsored Links
Ah…. Luckily I just cancelled the order of that as I read that device doesn’t have the necessary drivers/handlers that work with Smartthings when using a temperature probe…
It seems from what I read that it’s waiting for some random guy on the internet (with a full time job doing better things) to create a publicly available driver when he sees fit. Fair shout to that guy but I’m pis$ed why the manufacturers can‘t include the driver/handler and it’s reliant on people on the internet to make their products work! From what I see Fibaro are definitely one of the sorts who just can’t be r’sd.
It’s much like the bad old days trying to install a soundcard into a Windows95 computer, downloading all kinds of sheit from unknown websites usually in a futile attempt to make things work. The same seems to apply to z-wave or other home automation systems. The majority of people want just to plug something in and expect it to work - RELIABLY. Not many are experts, and not many have patience. My simple need was to measure a temperature, but this seems a nightmare with z-wave and I’m sure it’ll end up stepping back to traditional hardware devices which work.

Obviously NOT your fault Elite123, and I appreciate your comment greatly - it’s a rant about the issues with the system and technology in general!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back