Anyone know of any lawful impediment...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
or other reason not to use a pipe that previously held water for gas?
ie. Want to convert a 28mm primary to gas as it runs through a place where I can't get access. I've considered the need to pressure test it and probably find a way of cleaning it- anything else?????

Sponsored Links
Messing about with gas primary pipes and you dont know the regs lets just say your name gives us a clue

No person shall install any installation pipework in any position in which it cannot be used with safety having regard to the position of other pipes, pipe supports, drains, sewers, cables, conduits & electrical apparatus & to any parts of the structure of any premises in which it is installed which might affect it`s safe use.
(Enclosed pipes)..........No person shall install any part of any installation pipework in a wall or a floor or standing of solid construction, unless it is so constructed & installed as to be protected against failure caused by the movement of the wall, floor or the standing as the case may be.

No person shall install any installation pipework so as to pass through a wall or a floor or standing of solid concrete construction ( wether or not it contains any cavity) from one side to the other unless:

any part of the pipe within such a wall, floor or standing as the case may be takes the shortest practicable route & adequate means are provided to prevent, as far as is reasonably practical, any escape of gas from the pipework passing through the wall, floor or standing from entering any cavity in the wall, floor or standing.

Where any installation pipework is not itself contained in a ventilated duct, no person shall install any installation pipework in any shaft, duct or void which is not adequately ventilated.

If the plumber installing your water pipes has taken the above into consideration, then to be honest..... I can`t see there being a problem.... :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Anyone know of any lawful impediment...
is this guy serious

Seen it done before and they left in the safey valve hidden behind the fire place side wall that kept venting gas to atmospere.

7512.gif

found one with the pump still fitted and held a soundness[tightness] test :LOL:

kaboom said:
or other reason not to use a pipe that previously held water for gas?
ie. Want to convert a 28mm primary to gas as it runs through a place where I can't get access. I've considered the need to pressure test it and probably find a way of cleaning it- anything else?????

So the answer to his question was????????

Hmm. Assumption is the mother of all f'ups and you all seem to have jumped on the band wagon. I said I couldn't get access, not that I couldn't see the pipe so I'm quite happy with regards to regs thanks. Using part of the old one would save me a detour. I just wanted to check if there is a technical reason not to with regards to residue and any effect it may have when reaching the boiler.
I'm not sorry I asked, but I'd be glad of a response from the serious people such as ChrisR, dia, croydon corgi, agile, etc. (And you Kev)- definately no trainees though!
If it says in regs that you cannot change the use of an existing pipe then someone will quote it and I'll still be glad I askled because it'll be something I didn't know or forgot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back