Anyone know of the Hager VE24H CU?

Yes I do know its notifiable and certainly will be. I'm just trying to get a good understanding of what's going on. ... Yes i was reading about that problem that may occur. (nuisance tripping). ... Working it out i could probably just go the RCBO route as i wouldn't need to buy a 63a DP rcd then. so thats the price of one rcbo. then it's just maybe £15? more for each run in the garage, Not the end of the world as there is only going to be 4 or so anyway, And if i ever have a pesky old machine that trips out for any reason i would rather have light to get to the CU :)
Fair enough. As you say the marginal increase in price with RCBOs is not all that great - and, as you also say, it would be nice to reduce (but not eliminate) the risk of a machine fault taking out the lights.

As winston has pointed out, there are other options you might want to consider which wouldn't require a CU in the garage at all (basically just extend house circuits, plus maybe one new one, into the garage). Perhaps the greatest downside of that approach is that a fault in the garage could take out multiple circuits in the house.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Why on earth do you need a CU in the garage at all? If there is a main RCD in the house you don't need or want another in the garage. Garage lights can come off downstairs lighting circuit. Freezer can come off kitchen ring. Maybe an extra way in the main CU for the commando sockets.

So you're suggesting to run four separate SWAs to the garage and leave no way of expanding the installation at a later date if another socket or additional circuit was ever required? Yeah that sounds like really sensible advice :rolleyes:

Why on earth do you need a CU in the garage at all? If there is a main RCD in the house you don't need or want another in the garage. Garage lights can come off downstairs lighting circuit. Freezer can come off kitchen ring. Maybe an extra way in the main CU for the commando sockets.
So you're suggesting to run four separate SWAs to the garage and leave no way of expanding the installation at a later date if another socket or additional circuit was ever required? Yeah that sounds like really sensible advice :rolleyes:
Apart from the fact that it wouldn't have to be SWA, I agree. In addition, as I said, having the garage circuits protected by 'the main RCD in the house' means that a fault in the garage would take out several house circuits.

Kind Regards, John

Have reread the thread and see that SWA is not required, but still not a bad idea to use it.

I have a consumer unit in my garage, and it would be madness to supply it any other way.

Sponsored Links
Have reread the thread and see that SWA is not required, but still not a bad idea to use it.
It obviously depends upon the exact situation, to be judged on a case-by-case basis. In the OP's case ("under floorboards, through wall then through 1.5m of conduit into CU"), I'm not sure that the argument for it being SWA would really be any stronger than for any other cable in the house's installation, would it?

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for all the very valuable information guys, much appreciated :)

I see no problem using twin and earth to feed this integral garage.

Is there any existing wiring in the garage?

If there is already an old lighting circuit in there, then that would satisfy the issue with one RCD serving the garage. However, it seems like if there is an existing light circuit, it wouldn't be fed by an RCD, which isn't necessarily a problem.

A board in the garage with a regular main switch and RCBOs instead of MCBs would, as indicated, satisfy the potential problem of machinery tripping the lights.

I gather you're happy to spend just a little extra to achieve this, which is refreshing.

Stick with Hager - don't get MEM RCBOs - they cost a bloody bomb.

Hello again :oops:

Looking at rcbo's
The hager ones come in a few different flavours.
for example for the 32a one:

Hager ADN132 1 Module 32A Single Pole Type B RCBO 6kA 30mA 17th Edition

and

Hager ADB132 Single Module Type B 32A RCBO 30mA 10kA, SP 32A MCB

and

Hager Single Module RCBO 30mA Type C ~ mcb: 32A

Whats is the difference between the 2 type b, one is 6ka and the other is 10ka, what is that?

And how about the type C ?

Thanks

I see no problem using twin and earth to feed this integral garage.

Is there any existing wiring in the garage?

If there is already an old lighting circuit in there, then that would satisfy the issue with one RCD serving the garage. However, it seems like if there is an existing light circuit, it wouldn't be fed by an RCD, which isn't necessarily a problem.

A board in the garage with a regular main switch and RCBOs instead of MCBs would, as indicated, satisfy the potential problem of machinery tripping the lights.

I gather you're happy to spend just a little extra to achieve this, which is refreshing.

Stick with Hager - don't get MEM RCBOs - they cost a bloody bomb.

Hi Sparkwright.
There is existing 2.5mm 2c+e wiring, It's a radial spur from the mcb that serves "first floor sockets" on a 32a mcb. So not ideal in the slightest, not sure why that was done when the extension was built. (could potentially overheat and burn cable?)
I just want the garage on it's own nice and neat, I today put the 10mm cable from cu area to the garage, so that's just sitting waiting.
Was a bit of a nightmare job, skirting boards off, floor boards up etc etc. BUT done now and feels good :)
When the builders put the 2.5mm spur out to the garage it lies right next to a hot radiator pipe under the floor (crazy)
I moved the new 10mm cable well away from that. very happy with that now.
cheers

Whats is the difference between the 2 type b, one is 6ka and the other is 10ka, what is that?
That is the fault current it can break without damage.
6kA is sufficient for domestic purposes.
Incidentally the 17th edition reference means nothing.

And how about the type C ?
These are used for high inrush current to avoid tripping unnecessarily.
C is 2xB
D is 4xB
You can't just fit them without ensuring the circuit is suitable.

With new hager RCBOs they class 6kA as a domestic device and the 10kA as a commercial device.

The domestic devices have a much shorter neutral fly lead which will not reach the neutral bar from some positions in three phase boards.

It's sad to see hager are sacrificing quality for cost saving. It's ruined the reputation of so many manufacturers.

Thank again

Just ordered 3 x hager rcbo,
1, 32a for sockets
2, 6a for lights
3, 16a for future planer thicknesser

:D

Testing...? EIC...? Building Regulations approval before starting work...? Building Regulations Completion Certificate...?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back