CU query

Sponsored Links
Hager have that on their boards too. I always nab them when I've levelled the board up and screwed it back :LOL:

How about when informed that it's all done and then they say "we want an EIC issued by someone whose competence we trust", and the DIYer didn't know that because he went the Building Notice route?

But my comments were wider in scope than just electrics - there are many other Building Regulations that apply to the work the OP is doing, so he's banking on not making any mistakes which he would have avoided had he told LABC in advance how he planned to comply with them all.

And in return for taking that risk he saves a bit of time by not submitting a full plans application but pays exactly the same fee to the council.

It's not like that though...they explain before hand what they want to see so the EIC isn't really an issue, and with unlimited (at least for my LABC) site visits it's far easier to get them out when you've fixed a single cable to then talk over what you're doing.

I did the same for my flar roof replacement....had the BCO round to check another part of my build and just checked with him whilst he was there that the plans were fine and he gave it the thumbs up.....at this point I hadn't even submitted the building notice!

I think if the OP is to do this work then yes full plans for the building and when it comes to the application for the electrics keep it as a building notice as if you go full plans you can have go down to such minute details before you start for things like cable routes it can still catch you out.

(My LABC require separate Part P applications....so I assume yours does as well....)

Full plans for electrical work does not mean minute details.

It just means a written description of how you will ensure that you make reasonable provision in the design and installation of the electrical work in order to protect persons operating, maintaining or altering the installation from fire or injury.

And that's it.

Sponsored Links
I'll be doing a straight swap out of the CU first and as long as the RCD's don't get tripped from dodgy existing rings then it will be ok.
And what happens if they do 'trip out'?
Tests need to be done before the installation is energised, otherwise you are applying power to a potentially dangerous installation.
If you are lucky, the RCD or other device will disconnect the power.
If not, someone could be seriously injured or killed.

Building notices are designed for use by experienced persons who know exactly what building regulations require of a particular job. That means all of them, not just the ones you think apply.

They are not designed as a method of avoiding doing proper plans, hoping that building control won't bother to visit the site or for people to attempt to cover up their shoddy and non compliant work.

Hager have that on their boards too. I always nab them when I've levelled the board up and screwed it back :LOL:

You have too because they are rarely accurate and someone who didnt know better would look at the integral "level" and assume you put it up squint!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back