CU query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

am I correct on assuming the following CU is a split unit where the MCB's are protected by the 30A RCD?

British General 13-Way Dual RCD High Integrity Consumer Unit + 10 MCBs

19-module high integrity, fully insulated consumer unit. Flexible busbar.
•100A Main Switch
•2 x 63A RCDs
•10 x MCBs (3 x 6A
•2 x 16A
•4 x 32A
•1 x 40A)
•3 Spare Ways
•Modern Stylish Design with Curved Smooth Profile
•Designed for Fast Installation
•Integral Spirit Level
•Easy Fit & Easy Clean Cover
•Backed Out & Retained Terminal Screws

Sponsored Links
Well there's two rcds for a start, so no you are not correct.

What are you trying to do?

It's a high integrity dual RCD consumer unit. You can have a number of circuits not protected by either RCD, a number of circuits protected by RCD1 and a number of circuits protected by RCD2.
I've never used that particular unit so not sure how flexible it is with regards to the number of ways on each option.

Sponsored Links
It's just a copy and paste of the speil off b&q £50 dual splits

Oh. I see. thanks. RF.

OP - Well, in that case you can do what you like if you know how.

Doubtful, as you are asking.

thank you all for your replies they have confirmed what I originally thought and yes I was looking at the Screwfix CU but if it's cheaper in B&Q then will get it from there.

I'm swapping out my CU under a Building Notice, extending lighting rings, adding plug sockets, creating a new circuit for bathroom electrics and possibly new circuit for external power. I have spoken to my local BCO and have a friend who can help me if need be and I will be contacting my electricity company to pull the main fuse.

A Building Notice? Are you mad?

When you spoke to the BCO what did he say would happen when you got in touch to say "I've finished"?

No not mad and more than capable of doing the works that I know I can do and if I need assistance I will ask a friend to help. Domestic wiring isn't difficult to do and I have the onsite guide to refer to in order to meet current regs.

The BCO advised that I would need to pay for a sparky to test the work after completion and the same spark would also make a site visit to assess what I am going to do before I start works.

I'll be able to test the continuity and earth but not the more complex tests as I don't have the test kit.

I'll be doing a straight swap out of the CU first and as long as the RCD's don't get tripped from dodgy existing rings then it will be ok.

With a Building Notice you do not have to provide LABC any details on how you intend to comply with the Building Regs, so you get no opportunity for them to examine your ideas and tell you about any issues before you start - if you screw up then the first you'll know of it is when they refuse to issue a completion certificate.

So the risks are higher than going the full plans route.

A Building Notice is no cheaper than Full Plans Submission.

So for no reward whatsoever you take on extra risk. That's so irrational as to meet the colloquial definition of madness.

With out all the facts I would agree with your assumption.

I am also building a single storey extension, creating a new bathroom, knocking through supporting walls, shifting foul water pipes/creating new runs and replacing existing windows which will all be under the same notice.

I don't have the time to put together a full plan application so am going down the notice route.

If money was not a concern I would get a spark in but it is. I do enjoy doing building works, plumbing and electrics but I have alot to do and a small budget so might not enjoy it as much at the end!

With a Building Notice you do not have to provide LABC any details on how you intend to comply with the Building Regs, so you get no opportunity for them to examine your ideas and tell you about any issues before you start - if you screw up then the first you'll know of it is when they refuse to issue a completion certificate.

So the risks are higher than going the full plans route.

A Building Notice is no cheaper than Full Plans Submission.

So for no reward whatsoever you take on extra risk. That's so irrational as to meet the colloquial definition of madness.

If the installation is done in accordance with BS7671 then on what grounds could they refuse to sign off?

How about when informed that it's all done and then they say "we want an EIC issued by someone whose competence we trust", and the DIYer didn't know that because he went the Building Notice route?

But my comments were wider in scope than just electrics - there are many other Building Regulations that apply to the work the OP is doing, so he's banking on not making any mistakes which he would have avoided had he told LABC in advance how he planned to comply with them all.

And in return for taking that risk he saves a bit of time by not submitting a full plans application but pays exactly the same fee to the council.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back