Anyone know what socket this is under my stairs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know what this old (BT?) socket under my stairs is? Its got a cable going to/from it and both disappear up into the ceiling under the stairs. House is mid 80s build.

I've read this can be the master socket but my master socket is in the hallway.
I don't know if its active as I don't actually own a phone, I just use the master socket in the hallway to plug the router into.

s.jpg
m.jpg

Sponsored Links
I'd came to that conclusion myself although wasn't sure if it was BT or something that proceeded BT, British Telecom in some other form that we know today.

Is it "normal" to find a BT socket under the stairs? Could this be an actual master socket connected on the main telephone circuit, an old circuit, an extension socket?

Hoping someone will have experience of how the wiring was done in the 80s and the most likely explanation behind the two sockets.

Try tracing the wiring to the sockets ...no one has a crystal ball unfortunately

Sponsored Links
I'd came to that conclusion myself although wasn't sure if it was BT or something that proceeded BT, British Telecom in some other form that we know today.

Is it "normal" to find a BT socket under the stairs? Could this be an actual master socket connected on the main telephone circuit, an old circuit, an extension socket?

Hoping someone will have experience of how the wiring was done in the 80s and the most likely explanation behind the two sockets.

Yes, it's normal if there has ever been a monitored alarm system in that area. Have you plugged a phone in to see if it works?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back