Anyone recommend dimmable mini gu10 lamps

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
There is nothing pedantry about the truth.
"Pedantic" generally refers to things which are true, but which are (what can I say? :) ) pedantic! If things are not true, then they are just "lies".

Of course, there are some people who (on different occasions) are both pedants and liars.

Wrong actually, explain what the "MR" stands for, the majority of led lamps until recently are not "MR".
They all are a retrofit for a MR11 lamp, subject to control gear compatibility, but a majority are just a plain 35mm lamp
Although strictly speaking winston1 is wrong, on this ocassion, despite being one of his strong critics, I find myself having to come down on his side. Like so many things existing terms or names are often retained when the product is changed. A similar example is PAR, I have PAR64 & PAR56 LED light fittings, described by the manufacturers as such, known industry wide as such and accepted by all and sundry as such. Just as the MR description the 64 & 56 refer to the diameter in ⅛'s ie 64x⅛=8" & 56x⅛=7" but PAR stands for Parabolic Aluminium Reflector (there are variations on this as the products altered over the years but no need to get into further discussion) and the LED units nave no reflector just as the LED MR versions.
Elsewhere we use historic and incorrect terms without issue like a ceiling rose or these being called RJ45
CN21606-40.jpg
, I don't see why MR should be picked on.

Although strictly speaking winston1 is wrong, on this ocassion, despite being one of his strong critics, I find myself having to come down on his side. Like so many things existing terms or names are often retained when the product is changed.
As I've often said, I have considerable sympathy with a good few of winston's pet topics - so, for example, I would also be much happier if SMPSUs were not called 'transformers' and we didn't have a 'nominal supply voltage' which differs significantly from the actually supply voltage that the great majority of UK installations receive etc. etc.

However, these situations exist, and the thing which I do not have any sympathy with is 'going on and on' about things that none of us can hope to change.

There are, of course, also a good few things about which I very much disagree with him, but that does not alter the above.

Kind Regards, John

I don’t disagree with much of what Winston says. It is just that it does not need to be said. It usually adds zero to helping out the OP.

In fact, as in this case, his worthless interjections means that the original query, and any solution, is buried by the avalanche of responses he sets off.

In my opinion, if only - such as he - could post helpful comment the whole forum would be a brighter place.

I don’t disagree with much of what Winston says. It is just that it does not need to be said. It usually adds zero to helping out the OP.
Agreed. That's essentially the same as what I wrote earlier.
In fact, as in this case, his worthless interjections means that the original query, and any solution, is buried by the avalanche of responses he sets off.
Quite so.
In my opinion, if only - such as he - could post helpful comment the whole forum would be a brighter place.
It would indeed.

Kind Regards, John

Had you not posted this insulting comment:

waits for unhelpful input from resident pedant.

There would not have been an avalanche of responses.

My input was not unhelpful and was in addition to a comment already posted.

Don’t blame me for an avalanche of responses that YOU set off. An apology will be accepted.

As I've often said, I have considerable sympathy with a good few of winston's pet topics - so, for example, I would also be much happier if SMPSUs were not called 'transformers' and we didn't have a 'nominal supply voltage' which differs significantly from the actually supply voltage that the great majority of UK installations receive etc. etc.

However, these situations exist, and the thing which I do not have any sympathy with is 'going on and on' about things that none of us can hope to change.
I disagree. If enough people tell these idiots that use wrong terms that they are wrong the message will eventually get through.

I disagree. If enough people tell these idiots that use wrong terms that they are wrong the message will eventually get through.
I share you wish that it would/could, but that's not going to happen.

It's also worth noting that, even when people have good points to make, if they keep 'going on and on' about them, that's usually a sure way to 'turn people off' and make it even less likely that they will ever get any message.

Can I just update, at the price I think it will just be simple non dimmable led’s now as I need 14 plus a couple as spares, should have checked before removing all my 12v ones

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back