anyone seen a chimney supported like this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
full.jpg

right side breast at the bottom its been tapered off and blocked with brick

???

the breasts below are gone...[/img]

Sponsored Links
Looks like it has been corbelled in, why was the whole lot not taken down?
Doesn't look too safe - how long hsa it been like it?

yeah thats what i thought, corbelled in...

well over 2years for sure... probably about 18years.

nothing is happening to it ... yet ... but the neighbour is going to put gallows on their side will it affect the corbelled brickwork ?

Naughty naughty. The cut purlin is interesting too....have the rafters been strengthened to cater for the increased span and loading?

Sponsored Links
Whats wrong with it? Its a two flue into one stack system isn't it?

Duh, Woodster, stack below removed, hence corbelled brickwork as a method of support. Which it won't be doing anyhow: the stack will just be hanging off the party wall, there's no way that the corbel bond could develop to take the load. Might as well have not bothered with it.

nikon - how are those angled timber braces anchored at their bases? Are they braces or just formwork left by the brickies (look a bit too massive for forms)?

If they are as substantial as they appear in the photo and are correctly anchored/supported then there are no stability issues. The corbelling is also a satisfactory (and common) method of terminating here.

Remember, the issue here is supporting any loads being generated; these loads will act vertically and to a greater extent against the timber supports. The corbelling is only supporting a relatively small (triangular) area of brickwork.

It's not clear from the photo, or the text, if both sides are corbelled.

Nikon, let us know about Shy's observation regarding the purlin.

No, what I meant was this looks like two flues being built (and corbeled) into one stack higher up.

If the OP thinks the missing bit between the two flues is a problem, then the answer is no its not [normally] and is a common situation

yes the roof eaves have been supported correctly, i was more concerned with the corbelling of the breast

the breasts below have been removed on the right

my main concern is now that my neighbour is going to do the same to his breast using gallow brackets but on the left (not the opposite side of the corbelled breast) and was wondering if it would affect the corbelled area of my breast.

the stack on the roof is still in tact and in use.

to sum up:
the corbelled part is ok?
my neighbour messing around with his stuff is not going to affect mine?
if it does is he to blame?

Yes, very bad.

To conform with Building Regs you should have a gallows bracket or even a R.S.J. from middle supporting wall to outside wall supporting the breast.

As for the purlin, oh my.... hope its not been re-roofed with concrete tiles...

Looks like a typical case of, I'm not paying somebody to do that, I'll do it myself.

Work to the party wall does require the Party Wall Act to be used - as you are in London then this is mandatory.

If the neighbour (or you) do work which causes damage to the neighbouring property then that person is responsible for the damage

If the neighbour is proposing to do work and building control are involved, then you should inform building control of the situation on you side of the wall so that this can be considered in context with the proposed work

As it is, I can't see a problem with the corbeling :confused:

As it is, I can't see a problem with the corbeling :confused:
Being a surveyor, you wouldn't :LOL:. If the corbelling was actually called on to do any work, it couldn't. The stack is hanging off the party wall and its ability to do that depends on the condition of the whiffs, which invariably are pants, due to long term action of the smoke on the mortar. The corbelling has added nothing whatsoever to the stability of the flue. If you were doing a survey and gave that a clean bill of health, then you're a braver man than me ;).

Er, for those that dont know & possible other readers of this thread.
Oh and me...

What is "corbelling " :?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back