Anyone up for a Real Problem ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
http://omoikane.co.uk/plumb/controller.jpg
http://omoikane.co.uk/plumb/Programmer.jpg
http://omoikane.co.uk/plumb/wiring.jpg

Afternoon guys,

I had my nephew taking down the tiles in my kitchen on Friday - he took off the programmer on the wall and then couldn't remember how the wires went back in - knob has a phone and didnt take pictures. (shakes head youth of today)

So I have a very tricky Honeywell st9400c that needs wiring up.
I would dearly love to have hotwater AND heating.
The wiring in the programmer image allows me to have CH

It's in a Y (as checked cut lines on the box)
I have a wireless stat on my living room wall.

If you notice that the EARTH is in the HW on - without that there there doesnt appear to be power running to the Y controller box.

And I don't know why but both the grey wires are connected in a terminal box.

If anyone can make sense of those pictures or is in Derby then let me know. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Its common to see g/y cores used for switched lives in flexes.
They should at least be sleeved with a brown or red to denote that they are not cpc.
You also appear to have no H/w off wire connected at the programmer.
Download a Y plan wiring diagram and trace the wires.
The g/y to the cyl stat is also a s/l

There is a HW off wire connected. At the wiring centre it's green/yellow for CH ON, Brown for HW OFF and Blue for HW ON. Unless they have been sleeved you may well have 2 of each colour at the programmer. You may need a multimeter to test for continuity so you don't confuse the switched lives with your main Live, Neutral and Earth.

Sponsored Links
cant see the value model no as it turned around... and is facing the wall so cant get in there...

its def a 3 way tho...

what I need is a boiler L N E goes here here and here...
etc...

I can tell you how it should be wired, but I need to know:

1. Why there is no wire in terminal 1 of the programmer?
2. Why there is a brown wire in the HTG Valve block of the junction box?
3. Where the other end of the brown wire in 2 goes to?

All of these are anomalies to the standard Y-plan wiring.

Hi ya,

I'm programmer by trade so please treat me like I'm a moron :)

I didn't take the thing off of the wall else I'd have put coloured tape around each wire and then took a picture so I knew where everything goes to.. :)
Nephew made a mistrake so I'm trying to keep calm.. when actually I'm spitting feathers..

Terminal 1 - No wire I didn't put it back together so don't know.

Brown wire is leading in to this
http://omoikane.co.uk/plumb/R6660D.JPG

I'm capable of following easy to read instructions.. but not much else..

The wire connected to the LH terminal (HW OFF) of the Programmer block in the Controller box will go to the programmer. Which terminal is it connected to in the programmer?

OK this is where a smart person says I'm going to book a sparks to come in :) many many thanks for your help BUT... I don't want to go blowing a £90 (Screwfix item) when I can pay £50 for the guy to come over and do it for me...

Thanks again for all of the help...

I think you will struggle on 2 points
1) finding a spark who will have the experience to fault find and correct your problem
2) finding anyone who will solve this for £50
Mr hailsham is offering you helpful advice for free
This is not much help in your present situation but I cannot help that
It's tempting to clout your nephew but he's young and has made an error many folks have made

Hi ya, I LOVE Mr H to bits as his been really nice... and as soon as everythings working here and I know how much spare cash I have I will PM him :) and send him a drink...

I looked in Yellow pages - found a guy a couple of streets away - who says he will do it for £50 at 3pm tomorrow so hopefully fingers crossed...

I just know that I will cross something and POP the timer will be fried...

if it was a simple find the live for the switch and connect that to the programmer live - switch N to N - and Swtich E to E

then do x to x y to y that I cna do.. but the minute I saw that the EARTH goes from the controller to the programmer and goes in to the CH on - my head went meep meep and I know that I cant do the rest... so Sparks it is... :)

I think you will struggle on 2 points
1) finding a spark who will have the experience to fault find and correct your problem
2) finding anyone who will solve this for £50
Mr hailsham is offering you helpful advice for free
This is not much help in your present situation but I cannot help that
It's tempting to clout your nephew but he's young and has made an error many folks have made

I know you plumbers love to make out like heating controls are a dark art but really there's nothing difficult about them and most proper electricians will have no problem at all sorting them out.

I work for a local plumber wiring a system a week on average as he likes things to be done properly and comply with the electrical regulations which the majority of plumbers seem incapable of doing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back