Anyone using a "Virgin" dongle for mobile broadban

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I am and mine is very troublesome sending mail. Would like to discuss with anyone who has got it working OK

TVM

JD

Sponsored Links
The "dongles" are all basically the same, despite what the staff at the phone shops will tell you. You can use one SIM card from another network in another networks dongle, so long as you know how to set the software up manually (because it will have the wrong software on it).

So it won't be the "virgin dongle" that is at fault probably, but the virgin network. I can't remember who they rent their network from, they don't have their own one they rent it from one of the bigger players.

Do you still have a problem with this? We can find out if it is the virgin network or your hardware easily enough.

I gave up with mine and sent it back. the people at Virgon Mobile said I could change my SMTP but had to ask Virgin Broadband what to set it to, the people at Virgin Broadband said use the ordinary SMTP (which doesn't work)

However I have a friend with a dongle which I might use if I know what SMTP to use

Virgin mobile use T-mobile network.

I used to be with Virgin broadband years ago, but they were useless.

Nothing was ever their fault or problem. Another Branson scam imo :evil:

Sponsored Links
I gave up with mine and sent it back. the people at Virgon Mobile said I could change my SMTP

Do you mean your SMTP mail server? Who provides your e-mail normally? You could sign up for gmail or something if you don't have an SMTP server and use theirs. But unless the ISP is blocking SMTP access you should be able to use the SMTP from your normal e-mail provider.

If they are blocking they normally only block port 25 so if the SMTP server has SSL you can still use it most of the time. Anyways, who is your e-mail provider because you will want to use their SMTP server.

Virgin are blocking connections to the SMTP port that do not come from their cable network. They appear to be accepting connections on the SMTP SSL port so you can try setting up your e-mail to use SSL (not TLS, SSL on port 465, the default port) and connecting that way.

The other alternative would be to open a free gmail account with google, configure your return or from address in gmail to be your normal virgin email address and using the google SMTP server to send mail.

Both of these solutions should work from both inside and outside the virgin cable network, but they might intercept SMTP connections from within the cable network and that could cause problems. If you always use a different port to 25, i.e. the SSL port 465 then there shouldn't be any issue and you can use the same setup to send from both outside and inside their cable network.

The first solution is better if it works.

will try that thanks, it is a different PC that I use away from home

I can do email but not using Outlook Express (except to receive), which is my preferred tool (I also have Outlook available)

will try that thanks, it is a different PC that I use away from home

I can do email but not using Outlook Express (except to receive), which is my preferred tool (I also have Outlook available)

What e-mail settings are you using in Outlook, if that works? If they are SMTP settings you should be able to use them in outlook express too.

I only use Outlook Express at home, but I can install Outlook if I want/need to

so I have not tried Outllok, and I have not had it working.

Sorry, thought you meant you can do e-mail with Outlook. What can you do e-mail with then, web mail?

yes, but I don't like it. I want to be able to use OE.

I just set "Advanced" on my one of my accounts to "Outgoing Mail (SMTP) port 465" and ticked "this server requires a secure connection (SSL)" and it works here on my broadband line, I have not got a wireless dongle or Mobile Phone connector with me. Will try later this week when I am away

Thanks

I just set "Advanced" on my one of my accounts to "Outgoing Mail (SMTP) port 465" and ticked "this server requires a secure connection (SSL)" and it works here on my broadband line, I have not got a wireless dongle or Mobile Phone connector with me. Will try later this week when I am away

Thanks

Set up your mail client to login as well it will be called something like "server requires login". Method of plaintext will be fine if it works cause SSL encrypts the connection anyway, any log in method that works will do, because while sending e-mail via virgins server from a cable modem will work fine without a login, there is almost zero chance it will work from anywhere else.

Sponsored Links
Back