anything wrong with over engineering stuff?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Several people on here have asked about building their own sheds or workshops and I've played about on my CAD program doing plans for fun...

I now think that I may be over engineering a bit for a shed..

I designed based on 2"x4" uprights on 16" centers.. and 2"x6" rafters on 16" centers.. sheeted with 8'x4' OSB or WBP ply for shear strength and then clad in whatever they decided..

After going to one of the larger DIY sheds today, I took a peek inside one of the actual sheds that they have set up in the carpark and they seem to be 2x2 uprights on about 24 inch centers and the same 2x2 for the roof supports.. and with the cladding only as the outside covering..

while my little designs will likely cost them twice the price it should last about 3-4 times longer than the cheap £99 shed from B&Q..?

Sponsored Links
Part of the criteria for diy sheds is weight - or the lack of it.

Wickes sheds, are without doubt, the cheapest bonfire fodder you could possibly install in a garden. The other shed's sheds are almost as bad. :rolleyes:

There's nowt wrong with quality or the reassuring solidness of something well constructed.

Keep on off the ground and wrap it in tyvek and it'll last 50 years!

Just now building an 8x6 on my dads allotment. used 6x for the base and 3x for the stud walls. Using old plywood offcuts for the floor. Window- skip reclaimed DG unit and second hand (£5) interior softwood door given a few coats of stain. Clad with featheredge @ about 50p mtr.

How big are your shed designs? could use 4x2 for roof to keep down costs. It'll still be plenty strong.

one guy wanted a 10'x19' and another asked about a 3.6mx3.6m..
the 10'x19' wanted a roof that was only sloped one way from front to back ( whatever the name for it is.. ) and the other didn't specify so I designed that one with a normal pitched roof..

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back