APD WP1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How is WP1 applied? Is it like a paint that is brushed on, or more like a thin plaster / sludge that needs to be applied with a trowel like plaster?
Also how easy / difficult is it to clean the tools afterwards, and what do you use?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
No one uses WP1 anymore. A better choice is a membrane. Quicker, easier, can be tiled onto straightaway and doesn't reduce the weight capabilities of the wall. Schluter Kerdi or Homelux wall.

Sponsored Links
I did look at homelux wall but it seems to be a small fortune for the area to cover, (over bath shower).
I don't believe WP1 reduces the holding weight of the wall anyway?

A better choice is a membrane. Quicker, easier, can be tiled onto straightaway and doesn't reduce the weight capabilities of the wall. Schluter Kerdi or Homelux wall.
I wouldn’t disagree with advantages of a membrane over WP1 but it will be more expensive & WP1 is easier for the inexperienced to apply. The hanging weight of WP1 is 32/kgm which in this case is the same restriction as the PB the OP is tiling onto; may even be less if not in good condition; either way, he will be well inside that with the size of tiles he’s using.

No one uses WP1 anymore.
I do disagree with that.

How much is the Bal shower kit these days? It's been years since I bought it, homelux is £40 for 5 sq/metres. If you can hang wallpaper then you can apply the sheet. No Pro that I know uses any form of paste on.

I use the sheets all the time, must've done 50+, must've done over 100 WP1 showers- no contest for me which is better.

£45 for the WP1 shower kit I reckon (at least) longer to install, no cheaper, must be left overnight. No, I still don't get it.

You said you fit it for people on a budget, you must get it for a lot less than £45 for it to be a viable option instead of a membrane which would be cancelled out by the additional labour to fit it. Still not heard an argument for using a paste on over membrane.

I remember another reason I stopped using WP1, bal wanted you to skim boards with tile adhesive the day before tanking, that meant you could only start tiling on day 3.

Ok, I'm honest, and yes, for me cost is a factor.
I am replacing my bathroom suite out of NEED rather than WANT, (I put my foot through the bottom of the old bath that was not supported properly - which unfortunately I didn't find out until it was too late).
I don't have 'Trade Contacts' and I can't afford to pay someone enough to come in to do it and expect them to do a decent job, but I do enjoy DIY, I'd like to think I'm pretty good at it, and I ALWAYS try to learn everything I can about a subject before even starting to embark on it, (just ask Richard, I've asked him enough!)

When it comes down to it;

I have 2 young children so bathtime is WET, and also will have an overbath power shower.
Each end of the bath is a wall, covering 1m wide (before reaching the door or window depending on end), and 2.3m tall. Then the wall beside the bath is 1.7m long and (of course) 2.3m tall.

HomeLux Membrane:
5m x 1m I can get it for £43 a roll.
2 full height lengths per roll, I'll need 2 rolls (10m2) = £86 + jointing tape.

WP1:
8Kg pot, covers 8m2 is £35.

If both do the job equally well, as it's only a domestic bathroom (not somewhere in permanent use) then the WP1 seems the solution to me.
Also as the bath 'butts' up against the wall at both ends I tend to think that something that is painted on will add less thickness to the walls, than having to apply a membrane using adhesive.

I'm not cutting corners, I'm not scrimping, but if there are 2 potential products I can use, one is expensive and probably overkill for my needs, and the other is cheaper, then hell yeah I'll go for the cheaper one :)

Well... you said you hadn't heard an argument for using a paste, so thats mine :)
No offence intended at all, and I hope none is taken, just wanted to let you know my reasons for going WP1 :)

What about the polyester tape for internal corners and abutments? It's quite expensive. Is this installation going over a bath? If so and looking at your tile size, tanking 1 metre up from bath edge is adequate, so a single roll is ample IMO

Yes it is going over a bath, but there will also be a powershower over the bath, so I was planning on tanking at least up to the height of the shower head at that end of the bath, even if then I drop down to just 1m raise once I am half way along the bath.
I already have jointing tape that I will use.

We now seem to have a circus, I give up; read, research & decide :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back