APD WP1

It sounds like you have made your mind up already, go for it, the WP1 does suit DIY use for drying times alone if nothing else. I haven't looked back since switching to Schluter Kerdi initially then Homelux for over baths and Showers.

On a side note, I Just checked your wall structure, I have done 2 bathrooms With that material this year, not nice at all, I tend to rip out altogether and gripfill timber to the remaining sheet of board and fix board onto the timber the following day.

Sponsored Links
We now seem to have a circus, I give up; read, research & decide :rolleyes:

to the OP, ignore this type of comment, it sounds like someone is due on :LOL:
The OP has 2 threads going & for the last few days I've been trying to give advice taliored to experience so nice of you to pop in & make a usefull contribution bathplug ; a rare appearance on here (make of that what you will OP ;) ) but true to form on any thread I'm involved with;

Oh, I had my bad (or was that good :confused: ) day last week :LOL:

You seem to be intelligent & our advice does not differ that much so why is it that you seem to dislike me so much :rolleyes: After all we have a mutual friend in Tictic; or maybe your not who you say you are :LOL:

You either have a persecution complex or are a woman. Stop being so sensitive, take your tampon out and go to your room :LOL:

oh yeah, no I don't come onto the forum much, I'm incredibly busy with work. You know what they say......"those who can, do.......those who can't, teach"

Sponsored Links
Shall we become freinds, perhaps that will cure the problem :?:

Nite nite, sleep tite & don't let those bed bugs bite ;) ; nice mid day start for me tomorrow, just got to grout today’s wall tile efforts but will swimming well before 5 ;)

Ok, I'm honest, and yes, for me cost is a factor.
I am replacing my bathroom suite out of NEED rather than WANT, (I put my foot through the bottom of the old bath that was not supported properly - which unfortunately I didn't find out until it was too late).
I don't have 'Trade Contacts' and I can't afford to pay someone enough to come in to do it and expect them to do a decent job, but I do enjoy DIY, I'd like to think I'm pretty good at it, and I ALWAYS try to learn everything I can about a subject before even starting to embark on it, (just ask Richard, I've asked him enough!)

When it comes down to it;

I have 2 young children so bathtime is WET, and also will have an overbath power shower.
Each end of the bath is a wall, covering 1m wide (before reaching the door or window depending on end), and 2.3m tall. Then the wall beside the bath is 1.7m long and (of course) 2.3m tall.

HomeLux Membrane:
5m x 1m I can get it for £43 a roll.
2 full height lengths per roll, I'll need 2 rolls (10m2) = £86 + jointing tape.

WP1:
8Kg pot, covers 8m2 is £35.

If both do the job equally well, as it's only a domestic bathroom (not somewhere in permanent use) then the WP1 seems the solution to me.
Also as the bath 'butts' up against the wall at both ends I tend to think that something that is painted on will add less thickness to the walls, than having to apply a membrane using adhesive.

I'm not cutting corners, I'm not scrimping, but if there are 2 potential products I can use, one is expensive and probably overkill for my needs, and the other is cheaper, then hell yeah I'll go for the cheaper one :)

Well... you said you hadn't heard an argument for using a paste, so thats mine :)
No offence intended at all, and I hope none is taken, just wanted to let you know my reasons for going WP1 :)
Just wanted to add that I thought your reply to all the confusion was well thought & eloquently expressed. ;)

For myself, I only ever need a single roll of membrane, so that's £40, I already have the adhesive as I'll be using the same stuff to fix the tiles, no need for any of the band, simply cut a 200mm strip off the main sheet for internal corners. Domestic showers really only need 1m of tanking, especially over baths and in particular no more is needed unless using mosaic tiles. The OP didn't mention the polyester tape, that's £15 a roll, 2 required.

So to summarise, the OP could have popped a cherry on top of his eloquent reply, it's still not convnced me.

Remember, I have a choice as to what system I use, WP1 is gathering dust all round the country in shops, in fact, Topps stopped pushing it over 2 years ago, I needed to use some on a curved floor to wall joint in a wet room, two of my suppliers had WP1 in stock but it was out of date.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back