App charts police officer movements

J

jarvis2

You could not make this up. Can anyone else see the flaw?

Residents can chart the movements of their nearest police officer through a new mobile phone app.

Surrey Police claims its "trailblazing" gadget will help users chart crime and engage with officers.

The interactive app allows people to see where their neighbourhood officers are and what they are working on.

Policing Minister Nick Herbert said the technology will help deliver greater transparency.

"We want to provide communities with the information they need so that they are empowered to work together with the police to tackle the issues that matter to them locally," he said.

"This new app not only gives residents in Surrey the ability to view what crimes are happening on their streets in a convenient format, but crucially provides them with live updates on where and how their local neighbourhood police teams are taking action to tackle issues."

Users will also be able to find details about their local neighbourhood officers and how to contact them along with information about local events.

The app is now available for free public download from the Apple iPhone App Store and will soon be available for the Google Android market and BlackBerry. It can be used in the Runnymede area of Surrey - but it is hoped to be in countywide use eventually.

Surrey Chief Superintendent Gavin Stephens said: "Members of the public, who are ever busier and more mobile, use our services differently now and at a time of stretched police budgets, this application offers a simple and cost-effective way of helping us engage with them."

Sponsored Links
Let me guess, see where the copper is, do a robbery the other side of town :D

Great thinking!!!

NOT

When we get it here in Shotland, I'll be running around all day hiding me stash thinking they are coming for it.

No doubt some senior officer will get a promotion on the back of this.

Sponsored Links
Don't be complacent, every car fitted with sat nav can be tracked, as can every mobile phone, big brother is truly watching us.

Wotan

Don't be complacent, every car fitted with sat nav can be tracked, as can every mobile phone, big brother is truly watching us.

Wotan
As sat navs only receive a signal and don't actually transmit anything, they can't be tracked per se. Only sat nav transponders can truly be tracked. Mobile phones can only be tracked by triangulating their position in relation to at least 3 mobile comm masts (and then only when the mobile is switched on)

Therefore, it follows,, Big Brother is blind (at times) ;) ;) ;) ;)

three mast too many. enough to put you in the area, big bro has been with us for a while, but getting heavier.

Wotan
As sat navs only receive a signal and don't actually transmit anything, they can't be tracked per se. Only sat nav transponders can truly be tracked. Mobile phones can only be tracked by triangulating their position in relation to at least 3 mobile comm masts (and then only when the mobile is switched on)

Therefore, it follows,, Big Brother is blind (at times) ;) ;) ;) ;)

I believe someone was convicted for altering the timeline in their satnav? to avoid a speeding fine? But was convicted, as it was a leap year or such?

But a satnav would need to transmit a signal, in order to receive a signal, ie pinging. So the device location would be determined, by that act.

But a satnav would need to transmit a signal, in order to receive a signal, ie pinging. So the device location would be determined, by that act.

Wrong. A GPS device does not need to transmit a signal, the GPS satellites are continually transmitting.

Only Surrey police could dream up such a stupid idea, they could'nt run a bath.

I believe someone was convicted for altering the timeline in their satnav? to avoid a speeding fine? But was convicted, as it was a leap year or such?

So it's an offence to alter the timeline in your sat nav? Whatever that means, 'cos I've never had one, never used one. I find map and compass still works fine.

Why would a leap year make any difference? Is it only an offence in leap years?

Wrong. A GPS device does not need to transmit a signal, the GPS satellites are continually transmitting.

A device would not receive a signal unless it pinged a service to register that it exists. Surely? It doesn't 'magically' work. Oh my Tv works with this remote...not until they have been paired.

Redherring - I believe it was a driving instructer in the Midlands that got done for speeding, caught by camera, who then remade the journey, put the origional date in the satnav, to prove himself, but missed out the time switchover...Busted!

A device would not receive a signal unless it pinged a service to register that it exists. Surely? It doesn't 'magically' work.

Does your radio 'ping' the local transmitter before it can receive the signal?

Also, how do you suggest a mobile phone or hand-held GPS unit send a signal over twelve thousand miles to the satellite without a stinking great antenna and a car battery?

A device would not receive a signal unless it pinged a service to register that it exists. Surely? It doesn't 'magically' work. Oh my Tv works with this remote...not until they have been paired.

Redherring - I believe it was a driving instructer in the Midlands that got done for speeding, caught by camera, who then remade the journey, put the origional date in the satnav, to prove himself, but missed out the time switchover...Busted!

The receiver doesn't ping to any service or satelittes. It only receives signals.

What is amazing, is the satellite signal that the GPS picks up, has roughly the same power as a light bulb and it has to travel over 10'000 miles to the receiver!

Sponsored Links
Back