App charts police officer movements

The link is tenuous to the extreme, proving nothing....so you are saying that a device does not need to ping to another device, to maintain contact?

So how do they connect, and lock signals? Magic? Fairy dust?

Before dismissing me, tell me how they do connect.

Sponsored Links
What is amazing, is the satellite signal that the GPS picks up, has roughly the same power as a light bulb and it has to travel over 10'000 miles to the receiver!

Well once you factor in the gain it's something like 500W. And of course GPS has pretty good line of sight much of the time ;)

The link is tenuous to the extreme, proving nothing....so you are saying that a device does not need to ping to another device, to maintain contact?

So how do they connect, and lock signals? Magic? Fairy dust?

They don't connect. The receiver makes no transmission. It does not contact the satellite at all. The satellite transmits a continuous signal. The receiver receives it.

How does your radio let you listen to Radio 1 without transmitting anything? How does my watch synchronise with the NPL? How does my Sky box receive the transmissions from Astra 28.2°E? The same way GPS works: By receiving a radio signal.

Each GPS satellite transmits signals to equipment on the ground. GPS receivers passively receive satellite signals; they do not transmit.

Source http://us.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4043/p/141,2610

That is the makers of Tom Tom. As before, astute researchers like you, with many hours of experience. I would have thought it was fairly easy for you to find the correct paragraph and settle your mind a little. Of course you must be so busy at this time, so why not have a look later on in the day when you are less busy.
Failing that I`m certain Tom Tom would be more than happy for you to give them a call and confirm what they have published on their web site.
Here is their number 0845 161 0009, a Lo-call number. Although I believe the web link should suffice once you have cast your expert eye across it.

Sponsored Links
With a ping. Comparing FM transmissions, is completely different. Grow up, show the proof.

Once again, I suggest you go find one single source to prove your claim.

Either come back with one or don't come back.

Not to maintain one-way contact, which is what is happening with GPS.

The GPS satellites transmit signals; the SatNav receives those signals. The radio link is one way only.

Redherring - I believe it was a driving instructer in the Midlands that got done for speeding, caught by camera, who then remade the journey, put the origional date in the satnav, to prove himself, but missed out the time switchover...Busted!

So do satnavs record your journeys? S'cuse my ignorance, as I said, I've never used one, never owned one, never needed one.

Another couple of things I can't get my head around is:
a) if you change the date in your satnav, assuming it records your journeys, why would you need to change the time? Unless it was summer/winter time. But why would a leap year affect that?
and
b) did he really think that he could disprove the date on the photo of him speeding by proving he'd done the journey on a different date, also?

Redherring - I believe it was a driving instructer in the Midlands that got done for speeding, caught by camera, who then remade the journey, put the origional date in the satnav, to prove himself, but missed out the time switchover...Busted!

So do satnavs record your journeys? S'cuse my ignorance, as I said, I've never used one, never owned one, never needed one.

Another couple of things I can't get my head around is:
a) if you change the date in your satnav, assuming it records your journeys, why would you need to change the time? Unless it was summer/winter time. But why would a leap year affect that?
and
b) did he really think that he could disprove the date on the photo of him speeding by proving he'd done the journey on a different date, also?

Yes they do. He (the driving instructor caught speeding), failed to account for daylight saving, as he re-ran his journey.

The usual muppets on here have no evidence as to why a device has to ping a service. What is the first thing a Satnav says when you switch it on? Aquiring signal. How do they do that? magic? witchcraft? No it's by pinging. Hopeless useless brains, wasted by years of reading the Daily Mail. Useless.

The usual muppets on here have no evidence as to why a device has to ping a service. What is the first thing a Satnav says when you switch it on? Aquiring signal. How do they do that? magic? witchcraft? No it's by pinging. Hopeless useless brains, wasted by years of reading the Daily Mail. Useless.

Uh, no, they do that by receiving the constantly transmitted signals until they can acquire a location fix from timing..

Until you've actually read how GPS works, kindly shut up.

Here, have a US Army Corp of Engineers document on NAVSTAR GPS technology and usage: http://web.archive.org/web/20080822...ublications/eng-manuals/em1110-1-1003/toc.htm

The satellite doesn't know the device exists!

There are at least 24 operating satellites. All of them broadcast continuously. A receiver uses four signals to calculate its position. No communication with the satellites is needed nor performed, you simply receive their signals. If you can't grasp how that works you need to go back to school.

The device doesn't know that a satellite doesn't exist....hence ping. How incoherent are people? If you have a mobile phone...how can it communicate to a satellite? The sat pings, then gets a ping back? Are people really that stupid? How does a sat lock on to a device?

If the receiver doesn't get a signal from a satellite.. then it doesn't get a signal. The satellite does not need to know about the receiver. It's no different to radio, terrestrial television, satellite television..

Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsmvTzw3GP4#t=1m50s

If you still don't get it, go back to school.

Sponsored Links
Back