Appropriate power feed for burglar alarm

Possibly not. The only alarm panel I ever fitted, from Maplin, in a previous house had no such instructions. I put in a 2a socket on the lighting circuit and plugged it into that.

A socket on a lighting circuit......, OK it was not a 13 Amp socket. How on planet earth did you ( Winston1 ) prevent someone putting a 2 Amp plug on the lead of a vacuum cleaner. ?

Sponsored Links
Gosh, what did I start :) Thanks Flame, yes it's annual cover basically for checking the system, i.e. sensor, battery and supply testing etc. I'll be charged for parts if any are found to be duff. Obvs will be paying for new batteries as it seems at least one is NFG. Re the thread, so gratfeul for everyone's help. It always good to get to the bottom of things.

Winston1 are you aware that bayonet sockets on lighting circuit can be mis-used like this.

Vintage-Art-Deco-From-England-Travel-Iron-by.jpg

Maybe you should investigate and / or comment on the use of bayonet sockets on lighting circuits.

A socket on a lighting circuit......, OK it was not a 13 Amp socket. How on planet earth did you ( Winston1 ) prevent someone putting a 2 Amp plug on the lead of a vacuum cleaner. ?
As I said this off topic but there are no idiots in my household

Sponsored Links
Winston1 are you aware that bayonet sockets on lighting circuit can be mis-used like this.

Vintage-Art-Deco-From-England-Travel-Iron-by.jpg

Maybe you should investigate and / or comment on the use of bayonet sockets on lighting circuits.
I remember that from my childhood. I also remember birching and hanging. We have moved on.

Bayonet sockets! Don’t light bulbs/globes have bayonet plugs on them?

Oh dear, what is the matter with you? LEGAL? BS7671 is not a statutory document but it is a compliance REQUIREMENT. Similarly BS-EN 50131-1 is not a statutory document but it too is a compliance REQUIREMENT*.

I guess you don't have a copy (of either standard?)
Here's the relevant paragraph.

Electrical connection to the mains supply shall be via an un-switched fused spur point in accordance with the electrical installation regulations of BS 7671.

Power supply faults (including mains power outages) shall be recorded in the IDS event log and indicated at the user displays when the system is unset. No indication of a power supply fault should be displayed when the IDS is set. Power supply faults must also be notified to the ARC, although notification of mains power outages may be delayed for a maximum of one hour.

BS7671 SPECIFICALLY allows FCUs on circuits, including lighting circuits, using an FCU meets the requirements of both standards.
Will you shut up now?

*Here's the REQUIREMENT bit
http://www.nsi.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/NSI-Technical-Bulletin-No-0040-PD-6662-2017.pdf
21 pages of waffle. Having looked through it twice I cannot find that paragraph. I’ll look harder when I have time.

Like a lot of things it has not been thought through. An un switched FCU does not provide full isolation for the technician as removing the fuse does not isolate the neutral.

21 pages of waffle. Having looked through it twice I cannot find that paragraph.
The part that I highlighted is what BS-EN 50131-1 says. The document I linked to is guidance for the industry that tells the alarm industry that they must comply with BS-EN 50131-1. In the same way as BR Part P approved document calls up BS7671.
So you’ll only find the text in BS-EN 50131-1. Have a look in your copy…

21 pages of waffle. Having looked through it twice I cannot find that paragraph.
The part that I highlighted in green is what BS-EN 50131-1 says. The document I linked to is guidance for the industry that tells the alarm industry that they must comply with BS-EN 50131-1. In the same way as BR Part P approved document calls up BS7671.
So you’ll only find the text in BS-EN 50131-1. Have a look in your copy…

It is acceptable, to everybody, including JPEL/64. Everybody except for you.
Didn’t you get this amended in amendment 2 then?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Several people have in the past said the regs don’t make sense. This is just an example.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back