Appropriate power feed for burglar alarm

He’s confused again (pun intended). He’s so busy trying to be unhelpful. I think he/she means unswitched.
But congratulations to @winston1 you have, yet again, effectively killed another thread with your innane and pointless posts.
Being rude again. The OP got his replies long ago. You said UNFUSED, see post above.
I have not killed a thread, I have contributed to the discussion.

Sponsored Links
Indeed. I know he has problems, but I doubt that even he recognises the concept of an "unfused FCU" :)

Kind Regards, John
Don’t you start John. I have always regarded you as one of the more sensible members here.

I have no problems. I think things through.

Don’t you start John. I have always regarded you as one of the more sensible members here.
Thank you.
I have no problems. I think things through.
I see.

As I've said a good few times before, I sympathise with some of of your views, but I believe that what you need to 'think through' is the counter-productive effect of repeatedly "going on" about something, such that most people simply ignore and/or ridicule you.

Sponsored Links
but would you believe / trust them, you often say that the manufacturers get it wrong,
Possibly not. The only alarm panel I ever fitted, from Maplin, in a previous house had no such instructions. I put in a 2a socket on the lighting circuit and plugged it into that.

Possibly not. The only alarm panel I ever fitted, from Maplin, in a previous house had no such instructions. I put in a 2a socket on the lighting circuit and plugged it into that.
Well that says it all then …

You have two unnecessary FCUs then. Who’s fault is it that you keep turning the switch off accidentally? Now I would understand if you said the misses or kids were turning it off but you yourself!

The alarm was installed in line with the requirements of BS 4737 / BS EN50131 - I know that BS 4737 requires a fused spur next to the panel so I would presume that the later BS EN50131 also requires although I have not read it. The lighting circuit may not be the best choice for an alarm (and I have seen the discussions about this going on for years) but is the most convenient.

The FCU on my security light is unneccessary electrically but what i failed to mention is that the original switch was one of a 2G next to the door. So quite easy to make a mistake with switching off one or both switches. Thus it was movd to an FCU with no chance of an accidental switching. Yes, I could use a switch relocated but I chose to do it the way I did to suit me.

I don’t believe that there is a legal requirement to fit an unnecessary FCU. If there is please quote the source and reg no.

Meanwhile, show us the one that forbids putting a 13A socket outlet on a lighting circuit.

Oh no.

There isn't one.

Nothing off topic about your imaginary rules.

You throw them in anywhere.

I don’t believe that there is a legal requirement to fit an unnecessary FCU. If there is please quote the source and reg no.
Oh dear, what is the matter with you? LEGAL? BS7671 is not a statutory document but it is a compliance REQUIREMENT. Similarly BS-EN 50131-1 is not a statutory document but it too is a compliance REQUIREMENT*.

I guess you don't have a copy (of either standard?)
Here's the relevant paragraph.

Electrical connection to the mains supply shall be via an un-switched fused spur point in accordance with the electrical installation regulations of BS 7671.

Power supply faults (including mains power outages) shall be recorded in the IDS event log and indicated at the user displays when the system is unset. No indication of a power supply fault should be displayed when the IDS is set. Power supply faults must also be notified to the ARC, although notification of mains power outages may be delayed for a maximum of one hour.

BS7671 SPECIFICALLY allows FCUs on circuits, including lighting circuits, using an FCU meets the requirements of both standards.
Will you shut up now?

*Here's the REQUIREMENT bit
http://www.nsi.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/NSI-Technical-Bulletin-No-0040-PD-6662-2017.pdf

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back