Approx price for foundation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

I plan to do my outbuildings garage which is at back.

It will be single skin and 6mx5m in size

I plan to get a man with digger and hopefully get them to fill up foundations with concrete ready for my brickie

Can someone advice approx price for above? And something I should look into in terms of based on above size how deep should I dig up

I plan to keep all soil as I wanted to raise garden anyway

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Depth for footings depends on what your ground is like- minimum 700mm into firm clay. Hope you've got a big garden- for single skin your footings need to be 400 wide (500 at the buttresses) so you'll have at least 12 cubic metres of spoil to spread around. Cost- up here in t'frozen North you'd get the trenches set out, dug, spoil skipped and concrete poured for about a grand if there's easy access and you're paying cash to people (rather than to a company with overheads). You might want to pay your brickie (if he's up for it) to do the setting out and look after the concrete pour- if he does it then he can't moan if the level is off or they're not square :). And I do hope you're not planning to artificially increase your ground level so you can slink a 3m build in under PD- you'll be wide open for neighbour complaints if you do try it.

Presumably you're doing 6000 x 5000 to avoid planning and building regs (which is fine), might be worth a call to local council building control to ask about footings depth (they'll be aware of local soil conditions and might advise for free or might not). Other option is to get your spade out, dig a hole and see what the ground is like.

Also you might want to check with local utilities (gas, water, sewage, electric, BT etc) that there aren't any buried services where you're planning to dig.

While you've got the bloke with the digger, think about a trench for power and another trench for drainage (and/or a big hole for a soakaway for the guttering).

I have rear access road so easy access for the mini digger but skip might be trouble.

I only plan to raise around 3cm. I have had quote from a gardener and he has said i will need 10ton MOT type 2 to raise garden. The gardens around me will actually be still higher than my raised garden (seems like they have raised it too but not much to notice.

I have called building regs and they said its up to me how much i want to dig, they didn't give any numbers sadly! not very helpful. But when i did my extension i know there was lot clay at 500mm digging so not sure if i should stop there or carry on digging to 700mm as you mentioned? Which made me realized using clay to increase garden floor will be difficult lol so will have to dispose all rubbish!

I have checked with neighbors and they've said theirs no utilities at rear garden when they did their garage in past so im clear with that.

I already have power there so wont need to dig trench for that.

One stupid question, If i get a man with digger to dig up the 700mm depth foundations all round with width of 400-500mm, can i just fill that up with ready made concrete as i plan to use mixamate? or do i need to fill up less or more ?

Do you know if they will try to level it?

Sponsored Links
The man with the mixer won't level it. He'll be doing everything he can to get away other than actually helping. You either need to do the levelling yourself or get your builder in. As mentioned might be best to get your builder in so he is happy with it but it isn't a hard DIY job. Normally pour up to a bit below ground level, maybe 200-300mm. Depends on blockwork and DPC level

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back