Architect lancashire area.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Any budding architect out there want to draw plans for a 3m x 3m single storey extention on my bungalow? In the bury area of manchester.

Or any advice on how to do your own drawings for bulding regs?

Sponsored Links
BuryGas, do you know whether or not it needs planning permission - it may do? Without a fair bit of research you'd probably struggle to do plans for BR consent unless you know what you're doing - i.e. building to comply with the regs - and if you do you'd probably be better doing it on a building notice and then no needs for plans. Are you DIYing the build or getting a builder?

We're not all that far from you and would probably be interested in having a look at it for you if you want. Can you send me some contact details?

A 9m2 extension may well be permitted development and so if it is, don't pay for any planning drawings as they wont be needed.

For b/regs the drawing is not the hard bit, but rather knowing how the building will need to be built to conform to the b/regs is the main thing. ie its not a case of a square for the wall and a triangle for the roof and a few other lines on a bit of A4

Also ground conditions, drainage layout (Public sewer?), and structural work are things which commonly catch out the unwary - including the unwary designer who typically only prices for a drawing, and all these other things are extra.

And its [relatively] easy to get a drawing through b/regs, but ideally you want enough detail so that the builders can actually build off the plans and not have to guess what it all means - with the associated pricing discrepancies and "extras" due to bad design or poor plans.

Finally you don't want an Architect for this type of work - they will charge way too much.

Sponsored Links
Finally you don't want an Architect for this type of work - they will charge way too much.

That's not the most useful piece of advice unless you suggest who he should get to do the work for him??

He should be using a one man band technician working out of his home office, pointless using a chartered Architect for a tiny extension like this. Nout wrong with phoning a few practices up, and asking if any of the technicians do private work or asking who would they recomend for a small job. He'll do the planning and the regs drawings for less than typical architect will charge just for planning. It'll be the technician who ends up drawing it up anyway. I'd prob charge about £4-600 for full planning and building regs submissions inc printing, postage/initial site visit, simple survey etc.

[quote="AndrewSchofield";p="1123124
That's not the most useful piece of advice unless you suggest who he should get to do the work for him??[/quote]

Someone who can draw plans but wont charge the disproportionate fees Architects would charge.

Much more useful!!! ;)

Never employed an Architect nor enquired about their fees but i wouldn't doubt you are correct regarding their over-the-top fees. Know a few tho and they do seem to be of the opinion that only they can do their job properly and no-one should use anyone that isn't a fully trained member of RIBA.

Thanks for all your replies.

I dont think i will need planning permission as will only be coming 3m X 3.4m off the back of my house,and not the full width just,half on my gable end and not up to my neighbours if that makes sense.

Do i need drawings for building regs?

Also what is a building notice .

thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back