Architrave issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am finishing off my extension and the last door to be second fixed has given me an issue, the architrave is all 70mm wide in the house but this doorway is next to a wall and has to be trimmed to 60mm which i have done.
what is the best way to make this work with the top and other side remaining at 70mm?
Andy

Sponsored Links
I think it depends on where this last casing is. If it's next to or near to (i.e. can be seen at the same time as) another casing which already has a 70mm architrave fitted then I think you'd be better off ripping just one leg and scribing tight to the wall because if you can see two different architraves simultaneously it is visually quite disconcerting, especially the head which will stand out a mile if it's at a different height. If it's in a wall on it's own away from the other casings then I agree tht it would look visibly better to rip all the architrave fot that casing down to 60mm

It's on a doorway next to (500mm away from) another
Doorway, the leg that needs to be ripped down to 60mm
is tucked in next to a white wall, I would like to keep the other side and
the top at 70mm just unsure how to achieve this.

Sponsored Links
Mark-out and cut the two legs and head slightly over length. Cut the full mitre on the 60mm end of the head and offer it up. Measure the difference between the marks on the casing and the bottom angle on the head. Shorten the point by this much, then mark and cut the full mitre at the other end and fix the head:

Cut the 70mm leg as normal and take the height off the top edge of the head. Fit as normal. Mark on the wall where the point of the 60mm architrave will be:

Rip down the last leg to 60mm and cut the mitre. Offer that up and mark the length transferring from the mark on the wall. Fit the second leg:

This sort of pre-supposes that the wall to the right of the opening in the example above is plumb. If it isn't you need to get a bit more crafty and scribe a piece of architrave to the wall on that side before measuring and cutting the head rather tna just taking a simple rip - but I'm sure that you'd figured that out in any case

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back