Two architrave problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, I hope someone can help me with a couple of problems.

Firstly, the airing cupboard door, is next to the main bedroom door. The gap between the two openings is 142mm. My architrave is 68mm wide, so there is going to be a 6mm gap give or take. This will look a bit wrong won't it? What can I do about it?

Secondly, and still related to those doorways; the airing cupboard opens outwards, the bedroom inwards, so the beading/door stop of the airing cupboard is at the back of the frame. If I stick to leaving the same gap between the edge of the door franme and the inside edge of the architrave, the top pieces of both doors are going to be different heights. Again, won't this look wrong and what can I do about it?

thanks for reading

Sponsored Links
instead of door stop that runs from the middle of the door to the other side, you could use 1" doorstop in the middle. this way your architrave will fix to the frame on both sides instead of frame on one side and doorstop on the other. seen lots of houses with this type of doorstop.

I'd consider altering the offsets of the architraves on the casings so that the heads are in line

I'd consider altering the offsets of the architraves on the casings so that the heads are in line

That's what I was thinking. As it's all going to be white it shouldn't be too noticable.

Still not sure what to do about the gap between the architraves. I think I can get thinner ones, but then I'll have to do all of them.

Sponsored Links
The "traditional" way would be to make-up a single piece of timber with edge moulds to both edges and two mitre joints at the top. Not easy to do without a lot of gear, so the half-moon suggestion looks a good second option to me, too

The "traditional" way would be to make-up a single piece of timber with edge moulds to both edges and two mitre joints at the top. Not easy to do without a lot of gear, so the half-moon suggestion looks a good second option to me, too

You could create a "single piece of timber with edge moulds to both edges " by ripping down a matching piece of skirting to the required width, and adding a moulding ripped from another piece of architrave.

Cheers
Richard

The reason why it was always made-up from a single piece, not two pieces jointed, is that the joint always ends up showing up over time

The reason why it was always made-up from a single piece, not two pieces jointed, is that the joint always ends up showing up over time
I'd glue it and cramp it. Not saying you're wrong, mind.
I'm sure my long dead mentor would be happy to hear you say that. Have you considered that unless you are putting the door casings in together, the legs might (in fact probably will) run out a touch just to make things really interesting?

Have you considered that unless you are putting the door casings in together, the legs might (in fact probably will) run out a touch just to make things really interesting?

It's a fair point, but it should be easy enough for the OP to determine whether this is the case. And the same problem would arise if you made it out of a single piece.

Cheers
Richard

Hi everyone, my 2nd post tonight I must be on a roll. Right, are we talking rebated casings or loose stop(fixed to a door lining)? The airing cupboard I assume does not require internal arks and the airing cupboard head/architrave appears higher than bedroom, correct me if this is not right. My solution would be to line through both heads by introducing a make up, say 12mm(1/2") plywood to the airing cupboard frame head then fix a length of ark, mitred on both ends across both frames and substitute the double /mating arks with 6mm ply fixed across the casings instead. good prep and paint job should suffice. All this will depend on the shape of the moulding machined on the existing trim.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back