what can I fix this architrave to?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I have a door frame that is made of 20mm timber, and there is a gap next to it which is filled with a bit of timber , set back by 8mm at the top and 4mm at the bottom, and then some plasterboard another 12mm further back (see photo) . How can I build this up enough to fix the architrave to? The 20mm timber isn't enough to fix my 70mm bullnose architrave to .

Attachments

• IMG_3878.jpeg
    IMG_3878.jpeg
    178.1 KB · Views: 69
Sponsored Links
4mm multiboard like tile backer you can buy.
Cut to fit and stick in but will need to pack out to 12mm at the one end if I'm reading right

4mm multiboard like tile backer you can buy.
Cut to fit and stick in but will need to pack out to 12mm at the one end if I'm reading right
trouble is the timber isn't set in plumb so its set back more at the top than the bottom

trouble is the timber isn't set in plumb so its set back more at the top than the bottom
It doesn't matter - you work to the door casing/lining and either caulk the gaps or add tapered strips to the back edges of the architrave before installing it

Sponsored Links
It doesn't matter - you work to the door casing/lining and either caulk the gaps or add tapered strips to the back edges of the architrave before installing it
I need something solid behind the architrave to nail/glue it to, do you mean strips of wood on the back? I'm not sure how to make tapered strips.

I thought you were going with Multiboard pinned (opening side) and glued (plaster side) to give you something to attach the architraves to

I thought you were going with Multiboard pinned (opening side) and glued (plaster side) to give you something to attach the architraves to
maybe I didn't explain properly - the timber is jammed a bit wonky between the frame and the stud work, its not plumb or flush with the door frame, so I guess I need some kind of tapered material to fix the architrave to. I have a lot of small offcuts of wood I might be able to glue/pin to the timber to get a flush surface with the frame, but it could be fiddly. i also thought about pinning/glueing up a bit of stripwood and then sanding it, but it could take a while

I don’t really understand the issues?
couldn’t you gripfill some kind of thin MDF strips into position then gripfil the architrave?

Perhaps annotate your picture with what you intend to stick where, and a picture of the architrave.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back