Are Engineering bricks adequate for use underground

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are building a soakaway and want to know if the engineering bricks, sold in wickes, are suitable?
Nelliedee

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that.
No we havent sorted the design yet.
We are thinking dig a hole 1.5m by 1.5m and then put a membrane in. then a concrete slab, then build a honeycomb surround. Then concrete cap. Wrap the outside with membrane and backfill with gravel.
Nelliedee

Sponsored Links
With membrane you mean geo or teram right ? have you looked into the use of preformed concrete rings http://www.pavingexpert.com/drain08.html
or plastic, these really will save you loads of time.If you go along the brick build route still worth looking at a pre formed capping (biscuit) to make life easier and build your walls to suit the size,also you only need foundations to support the walls around the outside ,leave the inside base to allow water to soak downwards too.

To be honest, a 2 dimensional hole won't hold that much water.

Have I written the size wrong? it should be 1.5m cubed, you now have me worrying

We did skim over the precast concrete rings but I thought they may be 2 heavy to left into place as I am a woman (dont groan) and only have my kevin and perry style sons helping me.
The mebrane is the geo.

The area needed is 1.5m cubed. we could only dig down 1 metre before we hit clay so now the area needs to be made longer instead of square. Because of this I was unsure that the shape will now be left with will not tie in with the shapes of the poly civils...

Nelliedee

With membrane you mean geo or teram right ? have you looked into the use of preformed concrete rings http://www.pavingexpert.com/drain08.html
or plastic, these really will save you loads of time.If you go along the brick build route still worth looking at a pre formed capping (biscuit) to make life easier and build your walls to suit the size,also you only need foundations to support the walls around the outside ,leave the inside base to allow water to soak downwards too.

hi again Nelliedee . are you sure you cant source the cells any cheaper £90 is allot . Osma aquacell make two different ones a green one and a blue one, the green is for areas classed as non traffic and blue being for more heavy duty, i have just priced these up with my local merchants for you and found them to be much cheaper than your price, green ones look like around £30+vat,blue £45+vat , granted i am a trade customer but by now with your projects you should be on good terms with your merchant ?given by your last post these have got to be easier for you to install.

Hi Mikric

Thank you for being so helpful. I had originally got the quote from the manufacturers site. I have now purchased 8 cells and the geo for 360 from our local builders yard so we are now back on track and can finally fill this large ugly hole in the garden.
thanks once again
Nelliedee

hi again Nelliedee . are you sure you cant source the cells any cheaper £90 is allot . Osma aquacell make two different ones a green one and a blue one, the green is for areas classed as non traffic and blue being for more heavy duty, i have just priced these up with my local merchants for you and found them to be much cheaper than your price, green ones look like around £30+vat,blue £45+vat , granted i am a trade customer but by now with your projects you should be on good terms with your merchant ?given by your last post these have got to be easier for you to install.

Dont forget to take some pics of it ,if BCO has not seen it, before you cover anything over. Good luck :D

Does the hole have to be 1.5m cubed i.e. each dimension 1.5m?

Or does it have to be 1.5 cubic metres i.e. each dimension approx 1.15m?

If the latter it could mean a saving on materials and labour

Hello

The plans say '' soakaway needs to be a minimum of 1.5m cubed''
Nelliedee

Does the hole have to be 1.5m cubed i.e. each dimension 1.5m?

Or does it have to be 1.5 cubic metres i.e. each dimension approx 1.15m?

If the latter it could mean a saving on materials and labour

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back