Are Evohome smart-TRVs as clunky as they look?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I love the idea of any TRV I can set an actual temperature on, especially without having to wander round the house to each one.

Evohome seems the stand-out product in this space but their TRVs look incredibly large and ugly from photos on Amazon. I have a period property and if anything am looking to replace some nasty 90s radiators with more stylish cast iron (style) ones. But I worry this will be ruined by ugly Evohome products.

Is it an issue in real life and if so, is there a way to improve it?

Sponsored Links
They're a bit chunky. The HR91 might suit you as an alternative, if you're happy with controlling them on the app rather than the valve

There is a whole list of electronic heads for TRV's where the problem lies is getting the heads to control the boiler. So my head calls for heat, but nothing happens until the wall thermostat also calls for heat, that is where EvoHome shines, the valve calls for heat and also tells the thermostat I need water which in turn tell the boiler to run.

The best radiators are likely the Myson fan assisted, the heat out is controlled by the fan speed, they are far smaller than traditional and still work when hidden behind furniture, can have remote controls, but also can work with the built in controls. However the building management system needed to control the boiler costs an arm and a leg.

I have a very old Myson 25 years at least, it really does work well, so fast heating up the room as it is like a car heater with a very light radiator inside so does not contain much water, problem is when it turns off room soon cools down.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back