Are foreign projects welcome in the UK?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have made my life very interesting by mixing this two ideas:

1) I'm projecting my new house which will be around 40kms from Barcelona, Spain.

2) I want it to be a SIP house.

There are no SIP kits manufacturers in Spain. Not a single one. There are a few timber frame constructors but they are too pricey. They regard themselves and their houses as luxury items just because it is uncommon to have a wood house here in Spain.

In fact there is no specific legislation, they are considered brick houses.

So I'm alone, me and my architect on a crusade to break new grounds. I'm not kidding, as far as I know there is only one house made with a SIP's kit in Spain and was ordered by a retired couple from somewhere north in Europe who wanted a holiday house in Spain and had it made and brought from the UK.

Well, mine will be number 2.

But I'm facing some resistance. All emails I have sent to companies or associations in the UK had no answer so far. Either they think I'm kidding or for some reason they are ignoring it.

Could it be that mentioning it's a project in Spain is putting them off?

I'll be traveling to the UK and knocking on their doors as soon as I have the final approval from my local building authority. But there are a lot of questions and subjects that could be solved before hand if I had proper response.

So I'm asking to the pro's: What do you need from a foreign customer to take him seriously?

Gee.. What am I doing wrong?

Sponsored Links
In some parts of Spain timber framed housing is not allowed not sure about SIP houses though maybe thats why theres no interest from British companies

Never heard of a case where timber frame was not authorized as a valid construction system. In fact it is now being encouraged among architects as the way to the future. It could be thou, maybe in the past?

In some parts of Spain timber framed housing is not allowed not sure about SIP houses though maybe thats why theres no interest from British companies

You could be right looked into it about 8 years ago on Costa Blanca, Town council would not allow it maybe its changed now.

Sponsored Links
I stand corrected. Today I received a full brochure from one company and an email from another. It seems it just took a day longer than what I expected.. In full compliance of Murphy's Laws. :LOL:

I was under the impression that in some areas of spain they have insects that will eat your wooden house faster than you can say naranjes

I've heard the same stories from further south, in africa.. It must be one of those things that happen "further south" and tales like that must exist in every country.

Thing is a century ago all houses had wood structures and for some reason we abandoned that for bricks and concrete. Nowadays everyone that walks into any old country house notices immediately how cold it is in summer and warm in winter. One might think that building structures raised from ground and passive houses are a product of today's technology but here the whole countryside is plagued with old farm houses made just like that.

SIPhouseinSpain";p="1770504 said:
I have made my life very interesting by mixing this two ideas:

I had to pick this one up! Once again there is the usual 'old wives' quoted about timber frame construction. We have been supplying all types of TF units from our UK factory to Spain, Portugal, France and UAE. Anything is possible as long as certain EU building codes are met, and engineered calculations are produced in accordance with the rules country concerned.

We may be in the EU but each country (in fact regions in some countries) will have different rules - fact is Timber Frame buildings ARE totally acceptable throughout Europe as long as they comply with the Eurocode 5.

As far as wood boring insects are concerned, we use several measures to prevent any attack and timber frame is no more liable to infestation than any other form of construction. If Timber Frame is so 'dodgy' why is it the chosen method of building in 75% of all low-rise buildings globally? In USA, Canada and Australia over 90% of all new starts under 7 floors high are of Timber Frame construction. Problem is in Iberia few TF manufacturers know the EU rules and do not have erecting crews on hand.

I not completely sure about the rules on advertising on this forum and don't want to annoy anybody, but if SIPhouseinSpain needs any help with his project, please contact me. Our office in Spain will be delighted to assist.

I'm curious as to why anyone would want a lightweight timber framed house in a warm country, when surely the thermal mass of a dense masonry structure would help to keep things cool?

I'm curious as to why anyone would want a lightweight timber framed house in a warm country, when surely the thermal mass of a dense masonry structure would help to keep things cool?

Quite the reverse I'm afraid, masonry absorbs heat during the hot days and suffers re-radiation at night causing very warm interiors. Most masonry buildings in Spain and Portugal suffer from cold interiors in winter months and hot in summer. Timber Frames offer a solution to these problems and to the constant damp/condensation conditions we get here. We can insulate to a achieve a given U value, build in heat barriers for very little and control the passage of sound within. The cost and speed with which TF can be built is also a very attractive feature not to mention the eco credentials that all materials used, carry. Poor ground conditions that would not allow a heavy structure can in many cases be built on using lightweight solutuions and as TF is engineered to high ERD levels they are much preferred in Earthquake zones than any other method of construction.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back