are my footings deep & wide enough for 2 story ext

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I hope someone will be able to help me here.
after a kitchen fire I have decided to take the single story kitchen down and build up to 2 story.
I think the footings are deep enough as it was built with adding to it in mind 25 odd years ago. But im sure regs have changed.

They go down about 18 inch from the bottom brick (4th down) as seen here.

the spade is where the footings stop and the top brick is about ground level.

The second thing that bothers me is the width of the footings which as you can see here by the two courses of brick is only about 250mm wide (very narrow cavity). Is this wide enough for a two story?

the ground is what I would describe as sandy clay. It is quite dense although if i push hard I can get my finger about 3cm deep into it.

Any views would be greatly appreciated.
cheers

Sponsored Links
The minimum depth of a foundation in clay soil is 900mm but there is no specific rule on width. The width depends on the total load and the load bearing capacity of the soil. From your description I would say your clay is on the soft side. It should be quite hard to push a finger in beyond about 10mm. If you were building this new you would be looking at a minimum 450mm wide foundation - possibly more.

Sponsored Links
yeah afer digging more today i realised that the ground underneath is really soft and also has a leaking sewage pipe underneath so am going to rer do it all anyway.
Cheers for your comments

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back