Footings Dilemma

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Hi there you guys and gals im new to this web site and after a brief browse think its fantastic, im a plumber and plasterer but just getting into the building trade as well, so here is my problem.

I live in a 1930's semi, my kitchen protrudes further out at the back of the house than the dining room creating wasted land, i wish to build an extension to make use of the wasted landand extend the size of my kitchen.

This will only be single story, the ground is firm clay i intend to mainly use blocks to build as i will be rendering afterwards my questions are,

a, how wide and deep do my footings need to be :?:
b, at what point does the DPC need to be installed :?: im lead to beleive it 3 brick courses above ground level :?: :?: :?:

Please help :)

Sponsored Links
If you are not having plans drawn, and doing it under a building notice, then your local BCO will be the only one who can tell you how deep and wide you need to go. It depends on the ground. Allow for a metre deep though, and 600 wide.

DPC will normall run level with the existing one, with a minimum 150 above ground level. Its typically governed by the floor level, and not ground level.

If you’ve any trees within 5 metres, loose them quick before anyone from BC sees them or they may be asking you to go down a lot further than you think!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back