Are new eaves support trays enough to fix the problem with this new roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Its misaligned here as can be seen by the path of water soaked into the lime.
I wont trust anything the roofer says to me, so needed to clarify here, thankyou. I mean he wouldn't admit to any problem when I first showed him photos, not until I said I would go to a surveyor.

IMG_20230405_182027.jpg

What should be done about the cemented sections, this one is loose. Remember this is a brand new roof (that I was already ripped off for)

IMG_20230401_132910.jpg

IMG_20230205_144645.jpg

Sponsored Links
Considering its a new roof are new support trays another shortcut? I want it done properly, I paid far too much as is.

A few of yous guys have said its dodgy in previous threads... So I'm mostly bringing this thread back up due to information given here....
Roofer has said that path of moisture is due to sbr adhesive that was used 6 months ago when rebuilding the wall behind the gutter.
Should I get a surveyor, I dont trust this guy at all. I dont know anything about adhesives, but can a thin layer of it really cause what looks exactly like a rain water path down lime render thats underneath a badly fitted roof? Becasue I had this at the front of the house, what looked exactly the same and found that the guttering was misaligned.

I am phoning a large company about their SBR product right now..

Sponsored Links
Personally, I'm struggling to tell whether your roof tiles have sufficient overhang into your gutter - it should be at least 50mm. From some of your previous photos it looked not to be, but you said the angle of the photos could be deceiving. Can you (via a ladder and tape measure) establish this basic fact?

Personally, I'm struggling to tell whether your roof tiles have sufficient overhang into your gutter - it should be at least 50mm. From some of your previous photos it looked not to be, but you said the angle of the photos could be deceiving. Can you (via a ladder and tape measure) establish this basic fact?
ill check thanks. btw one of the main suppliers of SBR say that hes full of ****. Will check anyhow in multiple places!

I'm no roofer, but it's clear that the slates are not reaching the gutters! Eaves support trays would resolve that, but keep an eye on how they get fitted so they are actually under the membrane, not over, or rammed in.

SBR causing it? What the hell. The water from the roof missing the gutter and running down the wall is the blindingly obvious issue !!!

There is ample oversail into the gutter from the bottom course of slates, the gutter is set too low and the rainwater is washing behind the gutter. He has set the gutter at that height to catch the lead valley outlet, should have put more thought into it. Felt support trays will help divert the water into the gutter but will look rubbish.

He put new eaves trays put in, Ill show soon. I cant test it till we have bad weather again...... damn?

Its 55mm at one end, 35 at another area. He came back and installed some ugly eaves trays for one of the troubled areas recently. At this point ugly is acceptable.. but will it be good enough to rpevent issues? Thankyou.

Attachments

• IMG_20230611_164906.jpg
    IMG_20230611_164906.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 80
The trays are not even installed properly..look upside down to me. They will rattle around as soon as there is a small breeze.

I would get a level on the gutter first, ponding would cause exactly the same issue gutter overflow

Last edited:
The trays are not even installed properly..look upside down to me. They will rattle around as soon as there is a small breeze.
Sorry I inlcuded a messed up photo, is it still upside down?

IMG_20230611_164906.jpg

Why not cut your losses with this guy
I have run out of both time and money and am paying douvble council tax now! I need the place rented or sold immediately or am *****.
I have tos tick to him, and if neccesary bully him into doing things properly by getting a surveryor round and offically showing everything that he did wrong.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back