Are stud walls ever load bearing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I want to remove the two walls between the two bedrooms upstairs which form an airing cupboard and a wardrobe in each room and then replace these with a single stud wall between the two rooms and have a 3m fitted wardrobe in each room.

Both the existing walls are just stud, is there any chance that they could be load bearing?

Sponsored Links
In my experience, I'd say it is possible that they are load bearing. Unlikely, but possible.

You need to get a look at what's above them.... wall, joists, joist hangers....? Have a look. You'll never regret being careful!

They're no hangars. The walls are just sitting perpendicular to the ceiling joists

The walls including plasterboard are only about 90mm thick, so the wood frame is made from 2" x 1"

Perpendicular...? or parallel?

Perpendicular would suggest the ceiling joists could well be resting on the stud walls. (The definition of perpendicular in geomety terms is "at right angles").

If you actually mean parallel, then it is a different matter, but have you actually had a look above?

Sponsored Links
At right angles, yes.

I've not been in the loft yet. I will be replacing the walls with another one.

I will check in the loft, but I think when it comes to it, I will remove one wall, replace with the new stud wall and then remove the other, rather than removing both.

A lot will depend on the loft-space construction. If you have a modern roof truss structure, the ceiling will (almost certainly) be attached to the underside of these - so the stud wall will probably not be load bearing. If the roof is an older type, then it is more tricky. You do have to be a careful that you know what is / isn't sitting on what. It isn't hard, you just need to look. It also helps if you have an idea of how much the house has been messed-about with in the past.

A lot will depend on the loft-space construction. If you have a modern roof truss structure, the ceiling will (almost certainly) be attached to the underside of these - so the stud wall will probably not be load bearing. If the roof is an older type, then it is more tricky. You do have to be a careful that you know what is / isn't sitting on what. It isn't hard, you just need to look. It also helps if you have an idea of how much the house has been messed-about with in the past.

My bathroom wall was offering some support to the ceiling joists. If removed, the ceiling would have definitely sagged to some extent, especially if walked upon in the loft.
Luckily I was only moving it a foot ;)
Simon.

Very few first floor stud walls are load bearing, especially if just around an airing cupboard. Just look in the loft

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back