Are these stud walls load bearing - 1960s semi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I've been through a few of the "Search results for query: can stud wall be load bearing" but still think that I need to ask the following question:

We're thinking to remove the side stud wall(s) of the 'larder' in the corner of our 1960's semi kitchen. There is an airing cupboard on the floor above whose walls are also stud and appear to align with those below. 'Wall A' between the kitchen and sitting room is probably load bearing - haven't checked the construction yet. Wall between bedrooms is directly above this.

I'm worried that the larder walls are helping support the floor/walls above (also stud walls). I haven't checked the joist direction upstairs yet but will do ASAP and update this post. Is there anything else I need to check before setting into the larder with my crowbar?

Please refer to attached photos/diagram. Thank you for your assistance. A/C is airing cupboard on first floor. Note the larder cieling is lower than the kitchen - will this cause problems is another thing on my mind!

Stephen
View media item 108733
View media item 108735
View media item 108734

Sponsored Links
Might make sense to hack some holes in the ceiling inside the larder, and see what is being supported by it

Hello,

I've been through a few of the "Search results for query: can stud wall be load bearing" but still think that I need to ask the following question:

We're thinking to remove the side stud wall(s) of the 'larder' in the corner of our 1960's semi kitchen. There is an airing cupboard on the floor above whose walls are also stud and appear to align with those below. 'Wall A' between the kitchen and sitting room is probably load bearing - haven't checked the construction yet. Wall between bedrooms is directly above this.

I'm worried that the larder walls are helping support the floor/walls above (also stud walls). I haven't checked the joist direction upstairs yet but will do ASAP and update this post. Is there anything else I need to check before setting into the larder with my crowbar?

Please refer to attached photos/diagram. Thank you for your assistance. A/C is airing cupboard on first floor. Note the larder cieling is lower than the kitchen - will this cause problems is another thing on my mind!

Stephen
View media item 108733
View media item 108735
View media item 108734
50mm thick cupboard walls are not load bearing - no.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back