Are supporting battens needed for kitchen wall cupbds?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to hang some kitchen wall cupbds onto a masonry wall. I've got the right brackets for the top RH and LH corners of the cupbd and also some wall mounting plates to hang them on. The cupbds will carry a lot of weight and I was wondering if I need to also put in place supporting battens (2" x 1"?) underneath that the cupbds can rest on just in case the weight they'll be carrying will be too much for just the top brackets. Any advice would be welcome.

Sponsored Links
Not necessary at all, providing you can get a good fixing for the top brackets.
You may find that fixing a temporary batten to stand the cupboards on is handy to balance them on when you are marking out - especially if you are on your own.
When the job is done, any tiles or whatever will also give some support.
John :)

Ok, thanks for that. Perhaps I should have said that I'll be keeping DIY tools, boxes of screws etc in one of these cupbds (small house and don't have a shed). Hence the reference to the weight being carried.

If the top brackets are fitted to the walls of the cupboard then top brackets alone may be adequate. But if the top brackets are ftted to the "roof" of the cupboard then a batten under the cupboard would be sensible if the cupboard has heavier than normal contents. When the bracket is fitted to the roof the weight of cupboard and contents is carried by the joint between wall of cupboard and roof of cupboard. There is a limit to how much weight a couple of dowels can carry.

Sponsored Links
If the top brackets are fitted to the walls of the cupboard then top brackets alone may be adequate. But if the top brackets are ftted to the "roof" of the cupboard then a batten under the cupboard would be sensible if the cupboard has heavier than normal contents. When the bracket is fitted to the roof the weight of cupboard and contents is carried by the joint between wall of cupboard and roof of cupboard. There is a limit to how much weight a couple of dowels can carry.

Ah, thank you for pointing that out. The box type bracket is fixed to the side of the cupbd but only with two small 3/4" long screws so I think quite a bit of weight must also be distributed through the roof of the cupbd, so probably best to fit battens as well.

That made me go and check mine. Mine are fitted to the side casings (phew) as one of the 1000 wall units we have is ram packed with crockery and must hold a tremendous weight. It's been up for nearly 15 years now though so should be okay!

Why not use heavy duty Angle Brackets at the top and bottom of the cupboards. , can be chased into the wall, neat and inconspicuous

61576_P

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back