Are the new regulations for real?

Oh dear.

There is no way round Part P - it is the law and simply says:

upload_2018-12-19_12-5-34.png

plus the areas to which it applies,

which is quite reasonable and no one sensible would want or try to get round it.

Whether work is or was notifiable is nothing to do with Part P but Part P always has to be followed .

Sponsored Links
Whether work is or was notifiable is nothing to do with Part P but Part P always has to be followed .

For completeness - whether work is or it not notifiable is defined by Schedule 4 of the Building Regulations, as specified in Part 3 Regulation 12 of those regulations.

For completeness - whether work is or it not notifiable is defined by Schedule 4 of the Building Regulations, as specified in Part 3 Regulation 12 of those regulations.
Not in England any more. Still in Wales, though - and different in Scotland.

This is England since 2013:
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2012/3119/regulation/6/made

That's all there is now, three things which ARE notifiable instead of Schedule 4 which lists what is NOT notifiable.
It's not supposed to make sense.

Sponsored Links
Hi oldbutnotdead. Yes, I may do that, just to be on the safe side. On the other hand, I've no reason to think there's a problem about emergency circuit breakers, though I take the point from earlier in the thread about known and unknown unknowns. I have to prioritise what I do think may be a problem, which is the way the cables were connected by the electrician who wired the shower room. As I said earlier in the thread, the cables were scorched and partly burnt through, so I have to make them safe. But also, the lighting cables in the ceiling void are buried under fibre glass insulation material that fills the whole space, in places a foot or more deep, so I need to look into the question of any risk of overheating. I like your idea of making wiring diagrams, which again is something I'd have to learn how to do. But that's what I enjoy.

which is quite reasonable and no one sensible would want or try to get round it.
The big question of course is what exactly is "reasonable provision"? Does what was previously reasonable become unreasonable just because the busybodies at the IET/BSI issue a new edition of BS7671?

Hi ericmark. I hope I'm answering these posts in the right order.I'm not sure, so that's why I always start with the contributor's name It's Blagdon I had in mind when I referred to bypassing the regulations, which is what they claim. or claimed, to be able to do.It's their plug/socket system I initially installed in my garden. I live in Wales, by the way. The problem I encountered was that the component parts of the system seemed to me to be sub-standard, which is why I replaced them with more expensive but sturdier units, including a heavier duty armoured cable. The reason I think I should call in an electrician to inspect my work is that the whole system runs, as I implied, off an indoor power socket via an RCD. The RCD never trips, but it worries me all the same, despite being told by an electrician I met in a pub that it's just as safe as the system having its own circuit, provided I don't stupidly overload it by having greedy feeders all feeding from it at the same time, so to speak. I'm saying all this to emphasise how careful and responsible I am.

Hi AndyPRK. Thanks for that. The name of the firm was/is Blagdon, and they did boast that a pug and socket system with an RCD it was compliant with regulations.

Hi oldbutnotdead. Yes, I may do that, just to be on the safe side. On the other hand, I've no reason to think there's a problem about emergency circuit breakers, though I take the point from earlier in the thread about known and unknown unknowns. I have to prioritise what I do think may be a problem, which is the way the cables were connected by the electrician who wired the shower room. As I said earlier in the thread, the cables were scorched and partly burnt through, so I have to make them safe. But also, the lighting cables in the ceiling void are buried under fibre glass insulation material that fills the whole space, in places a foot or more deep, so I need to look into the question of any risk of overheating. I like your idea of making wiring diagrams, which again is something I'd have to learn how to do. But that's what I enjoy.
Lighting cables buried in loft insulation aren't necessarily a disaster. IIRC cable in thermal insulation should be derated by 50 percent- would be an issue with your shower cable, unlikely your total lighting load is anywhere near 8 amps!

The diagrams- sketch of which way cables go and what is spurred or linked to what is all you need. Termination details- the only tricky ones tend to be 2 way lighting circuits, useful to note whether LNE goes to ceiling rose with a switch drop or whether LNE goes to switch and then to ceiling rose (the latter method reduces EMI but is slightly more expensive in length of cable used). Have fun

Hi ericmark. I hope I'm answering these posts in the right order.I'm not sure, so that's why I always start with the contributor's name
Quoting the post(s) you wish to reply to is a big help.

It's Blagdon I had in mind when I referred to bypassing the regulations, which is what they claim. or claimed, to be able to do.
They did indeed claim that.

IMO that claim was without merit.

The big question of course is what exactly is "reasonable provision"?
Good question, but reasonable is a recognised legal term.

Does what was previously reasonable become unreasonable just because the busybodies at the IET/BSI issue a new edition of BS7671?
I don't think new regulations would affect the "reasonableness" part.

Relevant new regulations would presumably make installations 'safer' and so that is why it is advisable to comply with the latest edition.

It is perfectly possible to argue that a regulation is wrong or pointless - if you know what you are talking about.

As with a lot of laws, they are not really for enforcing at the time - unless profitable - but more for apportioning blame after an incident.

Hi mattylad. I know just what you mean, of course, and I agree so long as we are talking about DIY.
I mean that I would trust myself to re-wire a house, after a few months' study preparation for the project, but I would not trust myself to do anything more technically ambitious, partly because it would take too long.
But then, it's a matter of judgement as to what would be too ambitious.
For instance, when we moved here I decided to buy a more powerful PC for my writing project.
Then I happened to come across an article about DIY PC self build, made possible by a website, still going, that lists in detail which components are compatible with others, so that you know which make and model to buy.
I loved building the PC and it was a great success, but I could not have done it without that components compatibility site.
It turned out, by the way, to be no cheaper than off-the-shelf, but that was not the point.
Speaking of which, I'm rambling a bit.
So, to answer your post, shoddy work by those in the trade, whether electrical or whatever, is just one part of it.
To be fair, another difference between trade and DIY concerns time and money.
When your trade is your livelihood, you have to speed up if you are to earn a living, and you have to keep the costs down if you are to be competitive.
People expect a lot for a little, and that's always the complaint made by tradespeople.
I speak from experience, having worked as a builders' labourer and then on my own as a landscaper.
I've just spent four years constructing my garden from scratch, and my standards were higher than when I was doing the same kind of work for other people.
I hasten to add that I was never a cowboy, and in fact I gave it all up and got educated partly because I could not make much money without lowering my standards too much.
What have I learned from that experience about landscaping?
Employ brickies if you can afford it and if you are willing, unlike me, to forfeit the joy and satisfaction of doing it yourself.
But never, in ordinary circumstances, pay a builder to lay slabs for a patio, because when time and money is of prime importance it cannot be done in such a way that it lasts.
For that you have to do it yourself and pay more, and for all sorts of reasons to do with preparing the base, choosing the bedding material, using or not using lines, jointing between the slabs so that it lasts for years as opposed to falling out after the first winter, installing or not installing drainage, and so on.
And here, as proof of the pudding, is the finished garden if you click on the link.

It's supposed to be a thread p
Quoting the post(s) you wish to reply to is a big help.

oops. Looks all wrong as quote, but practice makes perfect. What I wanted to say, about Blagdon, is that if they were wrong in their boast, then where does that leave my garden project electrical system? Will I have to pay to get it on its own circuit?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back