Loft conversion electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently doing a loft conversion in my house and I want to add an electrical socket in the loft, preferably a double one.

I have concluded the easiest way to do this would be to spur it off the bathroom ceiling extractor fan switch which is located on the landing next to the airing cupboard. (The extractor fan switch is always left on and it is also wired up to the bathroom light switch so the left switch is for the bathroom light and pressing the right switch turns the fan on).

So I am planning to run a wire down through the airing cupboard ceiling and connect the live, neutral and earth wires to the terminals in the socket and then run the cable about 10m to the new wall socket.

Can anyone offer any advice as I have not done any electrical work this ambitious before?

Sponsored Links
I am currently doing a loft conversion in my house and I want to add an electrical socket in the loft, preferably a double one. ... I have concluded the easiest way to do this would be to spur it off the bathroom ceiling extractor fan switch which is located on the landing next to the airing cupboard.
As you go on to say, extra fans are usually run from lighting circuits, which are not suitable for supplying sockets. You need to find a suitable existing socket which, with a few provisos, could be suitable for a supply to your loft socket.

Kind Regards, John

You really need to get under the upstairs floorboards, find a 2.5mm twin socket feed, cut in to it using a junction box, and feed a loop (as you want a double socket) up to the roof in trunking.

I don't really want to pull the carpet up on the landing and get beneath the floor boards because its just been newly fitted. I'm thinking there must be electric in the airing cupboard to power the bolier or is that run off the lighting circuit too?

Sponsored Links
Unlikely to be from the lighting circuit, most likely it's own circuit, but again, possibly unsuitable to feed a socket outlet from.

You would need to investigate a) what cable size is feeding the boiler and b) what MCB is protecting the circuit.

You don't have to take carpet up on the landing, could be any bedroom with loft above it.

Do
Unlikely to be from the lighting circuit, most likely it's own circuit, but again, possibly unsuitable to feed a socket outlet from.

You would need to investigate a) what cable size is feeding the boiler and b) what MCB is protecting the circuit.

You don't have to take carpet up on the landing, could be any bedroom with loft above it.

Does it need to be a 2.5mm cable and what size MCB does it need to be on the fuse box?

Yea needs to be minimum 2.5mm and you're gonna want it to be on a 16A or greater MCB. Anything smaller on either and it's no good (without changes)

It's possible that the boiler has it's own circuit, but it's more likely a fused spur from an existing circuit.

I suspect you need an electrician for this job; I don't wish to be rude, but I'm not sure if you're up to the job. If the boiler were to be on it's own circuit, then it'd only be a 16A, whereas you should really be using a 32A on a mini ring circuit with a double socket, at least in my opinion. If there's ever a chance that the double socket would be extended to a second or a third at a later date, then you don't want to limit yourself by putting in a spur at this stage.

Although the carpets new, it won't be a problem lifting it, and then putting it back down again; worse case is you need to grab a local carpet fitter, and get them to stretch the carpet back in to place, and then tap it down, and it'll look as good as new again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back