Are these connectors man enough

Sponsored Links
Of course you don't. :)
:)
However, regardless of what I was thinking (or not thinking!) when I wrote in that other thread, does it remain your view that (if one is concerned about 'current ratings' of connectors) it would be 'OK' to use a 20A-rated connector i a 32A OPD-protected ring final "because the reg for ring finals only requires the cable to have a (minimum) CCC of 20A?

If so, as I said, the regs obviously do not say that the CCC must not be above 20A, and would be happy with a current up to the actual cable CCC (possibly 27A) to flow (potentially 'continuously') - which is why, as I've said, I think some people might question the acceptability of a 20A-rated question.

In fact, on reflection, it is (strictly speaking) actually even 'less simple' than I previously suggested :). Although. in a ring final, the regs allow a cable with a CCC as low as 20A to be protected by a 32A OPD, the reg (explicitly) does not allow a situation in which current in part of the cable is 'likely to exceed its CCC for long periods' - so, if the CCC actually is 20A, then a 20A-rated connector would seem fine. However, if, as is very possible, the CCC of the cable actually is 27A (in which case the reg would be happy for 27A to flow continuously in part of the cable), those people I've been talking about might suggest that the rating of the connector ought to be 'at least 27A' (not 'at least the rating of the OPD, which is what was previously suggested - although, in practice ≥27A obviously would mean a 32A OPD!).

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
... so to remedy the clumsiness I should use the best connector there is. Tomorrow I will remove the wagos and install terminal blocks!
As has been said, if you use an approach which uses screwed connections, then it would have to remain 'accessible for inspection and testing'.

However, in practical terms (rather than the theoretical/regulatory sense that we have all been discussing), the one thing we do not know is what this cable is supplying and hence whether it is ever likely to be carrying more than 20A for long periods. If that is very unlikley, then any concerns about a 20A "rating" (if that's what a connector had would (in practical and common sense terms) probably be fairly unnecessary.

However, what do people think about this bit from the spec of the Wagoi connector we have been looking at ...

1702349192801.png

... does that really mean that, if the connector's rated current is being carried continuously, the temperature of the connector might riuse by up to 20 °C? If so, would that not be a indication that the impedance of the connection might be worryingly high? Admittedly, 105 °C would not be high enough to 'start a fire', but it still would not sound very satisfactory (at least, to me).

Kind Regards, John

the one thing we do not know is what this cable is supplying
One cable is 1.5mm2 light feed and the other cable is 2.5mm2 ring main, for a room. If the fuse is 32A for ring mains and we have two cables then it would be 16A+16A, give or take. Maybe then well within the capabilities of the connector. Or we can place a 20A fuse on this circuit and be even safer.

Don't go changing fuses for this. Use the Wagos in a maintenance free (MF) Wagobox (or two) and crack on with life, it will be fine. The Wagos are rated at 32A in the UK.

One cable is 1.5mm2 light feed and the other cable is 2.5mm2 ring main for a room,
The current in the lighting circuit is obviously never going to get anywhere near 20A (probably nowhere near 1A if you have LEDs, and will be protected by a 5/6A fuse/MCB, anyway, so there is absolutely no problem, 'rating-wise', in using a '20A-rated' connectors. Ut';sonly the ring cable that is worth even talking about.
for a room. If the fuse is 32A for ring mains and we have two cables then it would be 16A+16A, give or take. Maybe then well within the capabilities of the connector. ....
You really are worrying too much and, in any event, the spec seems to be saying that, as far as UK/EU are concerned, the connectors are rated at 32A.
..... Or we can place a 20A fuse on this circuit and be even safer.
For what t';s worth,it would, in my opinion, be ridiculous to reduce the rating of the fuse/MCB protecting the ring final circuit for the reason we are discussing.

Kind Regards, John

I have heard tell that the sockets (on a 32A ring) are only rated for 13A.
Well, discussions about the terminals aside, they only need a 13A 'rating', don't they - since anything plugged in will contain a fuse of 13A or less?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back