Are these downlights halogen or LED? Could they catch fire?

Sponsored Links
I beg to differ. My LED downlighters in the lounge do not shine "directly into your eyes." Unless you look up at them.
Exactly, "unless you look up at them". You may manage to crawl into bed without ever facing upwards, but it is quite common for people to lie on their backs at least occasionally.

I would be inclined to find out what brand the lamps are so that if happy with the output you can get a few spares (the reason is they are all so different in performance, colour and wattage) some are real crap. It has no led drivers so they must just be standard cheaper GU10 fittings and retro led lamps. They look like the Cob style which are generally newer and brighter (supposedly)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
From what I can see I would hazard a guess at BG Luceco or maybe LAP, but leaning towards BG.

If they are BG, I wouldn't bother getting spares, and just replace them with something good when they fail.

There are places where I want to direct light into a dark area or an area needing extra light, I find the MR16 replacement LED lamp works well, both GU10 and 5.3, however in order to be aimed they are not sunk into the ceiling, although some do allow a small movement they are like BAS states mainly stuck facing downwards, so to work they need something white underneath them to reflect the light, however compared with the cold cathode fluorescent lamp the LED is far better.

With large LED lamps like those which replace fluorescent 5 foot tubes typical is to get 100 lumen per watt, however with the smaller lamps it can go down to 60 lumen per watt and that 40 lumen difference is given off as heat, most of the MR16 replacements have cooling fins, this is a problem as that 16/8" is often reduced to 10/8" to give room for cooling and so need to reflect the light even more than the old quartz lamps, however 8W / 100 x 40 is 3.2W of heat, in real terms that's very little and it is highly unlikely they will over heat, but I have used an 8W folded fluorescent lamp to keep my freezer compartment at 20°C when the garage is at 2°C and it does not run 24/7 the thermostat actually switches it off and on. Using an energy meter I worked out I only needed 5W, so if there was no circulated air yes they could heat up, but they have got some free air so will not heat up that much.

The problem is when the bulb blows on a Sunday and most shops are closed and you have the 50W quartz lamp which came out, the idea only until Monday when I will get a new LED does not help, as by Monday the lamp will have over heated, so unless the L2 version which will only take LED is used, then there is always a danger some one will use a larger bulb, today you say you will not do that, but LED lamps can last many years, in 5 years time will you remember?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back