Are these downlights halogen or LED? Could they catch fire?

mxo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have an electrician who installed some dimmable downlights. They are meant to be LED. I went in the loft above the ceiling to look at them. They have a tag on them which says 'Saxby 52334 GU10 halogen'. Also, they are surrounded by insulation. Please see the attached photos.

Does this mean they are actually halogen and is this a fire risk?

Attachments

• IMG_0118.JPG
    IMG_0118.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_0131.JPG
    IMG_0131.JPG
    124.8 KB · Views: 237
Sponsored Links
GU10 suggests they are removable lamps, as Many lamps have GU10 cap and will fit, the only way to tell is by a photo of the actual lamp,
If they were halogen you cannot hold your hand too near the lamp as you would burn it, an led would be at worst warm to touch.
The white plastic back of the lamp suggests LED.
Also that bracket should be clipped onto the fitting.

A picture of the front of the lamp would be much easier to identify if they are LED or not.

Sponsored Links
The envelope appears to be white, and as such, I would suspect LED lamps have been fitted. But as others have said, it's easier to look from below.

Hi, please see a photo attached. They are in the living room and bedroom.

Attachments

• IMG_0150.JPG
    IMG_0150.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 200
Is there any risk with the insulation being close to the lights in the loft?

There is no risk of the insulation making the lamps overheat in what we can see in those photos.

I beg to differ. My LED downlighters in the lounge do not shine "directly into your eyes." Unless you look up at them.

There is no risk of the insulation making the lamps overheat in what we can see in those photos.

Not strictly true. The lamps are very likely to overheat due to being covered by insulation, but the lamps will not overheat the insulation and cause fire.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back